noob q for you ohlins guys - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

noob q for you ohlins guys

was bored today at work and skeeming thru the web I was looking into aftermarket rear shocks for my gen 4. now my question is.... what is the difference between the KA931 and the KA036?

"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
call ohlins and ask..im sure they have an 800 #..Before you spend the $ look around here..I saw that the gen 4 gas chambers leak and are fixable with revalveing and so on for less than a ohlins..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #3 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

going out on a limb to say one has a fixed preload adjuster and the other is remote. Go with the remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_sez View Post
call ohlins and ask..im sure they have an 800 #..Before you spend the $ look around here..I saw that the gen 4 gas chambers leak and are fixable with revalveing and so on for less than a ohlins..
i talked to some 1 at a local shop (piper performance) that does racetech stuff, and had been considering doing the shims, revalving, respring route or what ever they reccomended... the problem with that is im about 230 pounds. racetech spring calculator recommends 12.216kg/mm and i think the highest they show on there site is (RT SK SPR 58.2x178 11.6kg-114N)

looking at k-tech a while back i think they have heavier springs.... i dont remember

Last edited by willieswonka06; 06-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG0987 View Post
going out on a limb to say one has a fixed preload adjuster and the other is remote. Go with the remote.
thats kind of what i was thinking as well. thanks im look into a couple alternatives for the rear and when it comes time ill call ohlins line and confirm before i do spend any $$$

post #6 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I tried looking for a difference in the ohlins manuals but I came up with nothing. The are listed as the same shock type exact same part number.

post #7 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
The remote is a waste of $ unless you want the bling or do alot of different tracks where your resetting preload

The spring rate calculator is a good guide line but not always gonna be a 100% correct...Your body type makes a diff to..For example some guys that weigh as much as i do needed their fork springs upped a smidge cause they have a longer upper torso,me i have a more stumpy type body so more of my weight sits on the rear and my fork springs were fine..Same goes for rear..Then tires will make a lil diff in combo with shock set up along with temps where and how you ride ect..
Best bet is to actually call and talk to a suspension man rather than buy based on a online calculator..This book came highly recommended to me by elka but i never remember to get it cause i have a inhouse racer who helps me understand some of this stuff..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #8 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_sez View Post
The remote is a waste of $ unless you want the bling or do alot of different tracks where your resetting preload

The spring rate calculator is a good guide line but not always gonna be a 100% correct...Your body type makes a diff to..For example some guys that weigh as much as i do needed their fork springs upped a smidge cause they have a longer upper torso,me i have a more stumpy type body so more of my weight sits on the rear and my fork springs were fine..Same goes for rear..Then tires will make a lil diff in combo with shock set up along with temps where and how you ride ect..
Best bet is to actually call and talk to a suspension man rather than buy based on a online calculator..This book came highly recommended to me by elka but i never remember to get it cause i have a inhouse racer who helps me understand some of this stuff.. Amazon.com: Sportbike Suspension Tuning (9781893618459): Andrew Trevitt: Books
I guess im just gonna end up going up to cliff piper. i believe he is a good suspension man from what ive heard in my area and he is an official racetech service center. might end up just revalve/respring the stocker. see what he has to say will let ya know

post #9 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I have alway read and been told buying a new shock is far more cost effective based on the increased performance than re working the stock shock.

post #10 of 38 Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Craig-sez is absolutely right about race tech. I went with their online specs when rebuilding mine, I even spoke to someone there for advice on stacking the shims and I wound up with pretty stiff forks for my liking. They're much better but need. Some work. Also I'm 260 lbs now and the spring I got from them are too stiff, unknown they carry stuff for your weight. Honestly, I have an ohlins rear shock and race tech internals(gold valve rebound and compression and new springs and I feel like I have more adjustment with the forks, racetech does a great job for what it costs!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in