Nitrogen filled ZX10R tires? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
jeffreywjones@charter.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 5
Posting Frequency
 
Nitrogen filled ZX10R tires?

I have recently switched to nitrogen in filling the tires of my car. Can I do the same for my ZX10? I can't think of a reason why it would be bad but I thought I would run it by the collective first.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM
WSB Rider
 
whans1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 546
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have recently switched to nitrogen in filling the tires of my car. Can I do the same for my ZX10? I can't think of a reason why it would be bad but I thought I would run it by the collective first.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
DONT DO IT..... I run a tire shop and one of the benefits of the nitrogen is the tire run cooler.. on a motorcycle you want the tires to run hot so they stick.. the tires will take much much longer to warm up and they will not get as hot as they do now so you will get less traction.......
whans1980 is offline  
post #3 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
jeffreywjones@charter.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 5
Posting Frequency
 
Thanks! I didn't know that Nitrogen runs cooler than air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Champion Rider
 
-AK-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 269
Posting Frequency
 
I would also think it would be to expensive if you use your bike for road and track with different pressures.
-AK- is offline  
post #5 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM
WSB Rider
 
whans1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 546
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks! I didn't know that Nitrogen runs cooler than air.
No prob man.. we used to sell the nitrogen service at my shop and we found that the guys with soft tires on high performance cars hated the nitrogen. One guy had a corvette and ran very soft tires and he didnt drive the car much.. so he said when the car sits without driving it for a couple weeks at a time the car would vibrate for about a mile till the tires warmed up cause there were flat spots in the tires from sitting.. after we switched his car to nitrogen he said the car would vibrate for about ten miles.... this was happening because the nitrogen makes the tires run much much cooler....
whans1980 is offline  
post #6 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Squid
 
Nittany_Airman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 34
Posting Frequency
 
So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.
ddipaola likes this.
Nittany_Airman is offline  
post #7 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid
 
jeffreywjones@charter.net's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 5
Posting Frequency
 
It makes sense.

My 10R "wakes up" as I get into a ride. Makes sense the tires would also need to come up to temp. BTW, what pressures do you run on the street? Do you stick to the book or have you deviated? If so, why?

Jeff
post #8 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM
WSB Rider
 
whans1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 546
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany_Airman View Post
So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.
http://www.wellworthproducts.com/art...rogentires.asp
whans1980 is offline  
post #9 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
WSB Rider
 
whans1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 546
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany_Airman View Post
So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.
The main reason to run nitrogen in tires is to lower the rolling resistance to impove fuel economy.. it does this by lowering the tire temperature and not allowing the tire to expand as much becuase it runs cooler.... cooler tire = less expansion = less rolling resistance = cooler tires..

Last edited by whans1980; 05-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
whans1980 is offline  
post #10 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM
WSB Rider
 
whans1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 546
Posting Frequency
Images: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It makes sense.

My 10R "wakes up" as I get into a ride. Makes sense the tires would also need to come up to temp. BTW, what pressures do you run on the street? Do you stick to the book or have you deviated? If so, why?

Jeff
I am a heavy rider.. geared up im almost 260... so in short im a fat guy.. lol.. and i run 38 rear and 32 front.. I find this gets me the best traction for my type of riding and doesnt wear the middle of the tire out as much.. I have a friend that has the same bike and he is a light weight rider (only weights about 140) and he runs 42 in the rear and 38 front and he wears the middle of the tire out twice as fast as I do...

Last edited by whans1980; 05-09-2013 at 07:23 AM.
whans1980 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
nitrogen, tire pressure

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitrogen In Tires 09zx10miami Performance and Tech 18 12-30-2010 10:44 AM
Filled with Joy RedHawg Welcome Newbies! 5 11-25-2009 02:44 PM
40 dry shot of nitrious (already filled) 04kawzx-10 Parts, Gear and Accessories 7 06-21-2008 09:23 PM
Nitrogen for your tires.... Fixer The Out House 23 10-22-2007 02:43 AM
Back from Florida, all PM's and orders will be filled Rifleman The Out House 1 04-03-2007 07:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome