Nitrogen filled ZX10R tires? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Nitrogen filled ZX10R tires?

I have recently switched to nitrogen in filling the tires of my car. Can I do the same for my ZX10? I can't think of a reason why it would be bad but I thought I would run it by the collective first.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have recently switched to nitrogen in filling the tires of my car. Can I do the same for my ZX10? I can't think of a reason why it would be bad but I thought I would run it by the collective first.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
DONT DO IT..... I run a tire shop and one of the benefits of the nitrogen is the tire run cooler.. on a motorcycle you want the tires to run hot so they stick.. the tires will take much much longer to warm up and they will not get as hot as they do now so you will get less traction.......
post #3 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks! I didn't know that Nitrogen runs cooler than air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I would also think it would be to expensive if you use your bike for road and track with different pressures.
post #5 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know that Nitrogen runs cooler than air.
No prob man.. we used to sell the nitrogen service at my shop and we found that the guys with soft tires on high performance cars hated the nitrogen. One guy had a corvette and ran very soft tires and he didnt drive the car much.. so he said when the car sits without driving it for a couple weeks at a time the car would vibrate for about a mile till the tires warmed up cause there were flat spots in the tires from sitting.. after we switched his car to nitrogen he said the car would vibrate for about ten miles.... this was happening because the nitrogen makes the tires run much much cooler....
post #6 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.
ddipaola likes this.
post #7 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

It makes sense.

My 10R "wakes up" as I get into a ride. Makes sense the tires would also need to come up to temp. BTW, what pressures do you run on the street? Do you stick to the book or have you deviated? If so, why?

Jeff
post #8 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany_Airman View Post
So, I'm going to need the science on the nitrogen runs cooler claim. The reason for the use of nitrogen is because it's density does not change as much as air with changes in temperature. If your observation is that tire pressures don't increase as much with nitrogen filled tires after warming them up, then that is why. I'm not saying you're wrong. But your claim doesn't make any sense to me.
http://www.wellworthproducts.com/art...rogentires.asp
post #9 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany_Airman View Post
The main reason to run nitrogen in tires is to lower the rolling resistance to impove fuel economy.. it does this by lowering the tire temperature and not allowing the tire to expand as much becuase it runs cooler.... cooler tire = less expansion = less rolling resistance = cooler tires..

Last edited by whans1980; 05-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
post #10 of 77 Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
It makes sense.

My 10R "wakes up" as I get into a ride. Makes sense the tires would also need to come up to temp. BTW, what pressures do you run on the street? Do you stick to the book or have you deviated? If so, why?

Jeff
I am a heavy rider.. geared up im almost 260... so in short im a fat guy.. lol.. and i run 38 rear and 32 front.. I find this gets me the best traction for my type of riding and doesnt wear the middle of the tire out as much.. I have a friend that has the same bike and he is a light weight rider (only weights about 140) and he runs 42 in the rear and 38 front and he wears the middle of the tire out twice as fast as I do...

Last edited by whans1980; 05-09-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
nitrogen, tire pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in