Is my oem damper going bad? And plastic panels question. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Darkraven
  • 1 Post By HoodaTai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-07-2016, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Is my oem damper going bad? And plastic panels question.

Hi,

Yesterday I took my tank off to replace air filter on my 2014 zx10r. It's only got 2k miles on it (bought brand new late last summer) but I wanted to put a K&N in. I took my time with the job and was very careful no broken parts or extra screws or errors/lights when I was done.

Today on my way to work the steering felt like it yanked a little to the right when I was going at a slow speed between cars. It wasn't enough to overpower me but it caught my attention. Then on the way back home from work I felt the steering do it again. I drive this road every day except when it rains and I've never felt this awkward sensation. It's kind of like I hit a dip in the road with my front tire only but there's no dip.

Did I put something back wrong? Did I put the damper back wrong?

Also and this isn't as important unless you are OCD like me but I was very careful in taking off the plastic side panels that wrap around the tank and although all the holes line up, and the Velcro is right on, and the three tabs are all seated they aren't flush with the line at the top of the tank and the plastic cover at the top of the tank like they were before?

Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Not sure what your damper issue is but I have similar issues with the plastic side panels. Of course I ran my bike top first into a tire wall at about 65mph so that might also have something to do with it. :)

post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2016, 05:55 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

In my experience, any bike, once the plastics come off they never quite go back as perfect as before.
vroomshankar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2016, 07:25 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I may be able to help a little with the side panels.. Make sure your starting at the front of the bike, get that front part snapped in by damper. Get the two things pushed into the rubber grommets, put the tab under that hook or whatever you call it then BEFORE you snap the Velcro pull the whole panel towards back of bike, while wrapping it around the tank to get it tighter. If you notice the screw that's obscured by seat has the ability to be inserted at different spots, this is how you can make sure the panels are tight. Helps to have one person pushing the panels back while another tightens screw to hold it there. I personally never noticed the screw being able to be slid sidways for adjustment. I've also had to superglue those little Velcro so they suck.. My panels looked like shit after my throttle body warranty work so I had the main guy fix them. Hope this helps but don't worry it's not broke just needs to be massaged into place

More cowbell
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi Turtle,

Thanks for the info. This really helped. To add onto this info I noticed that the first plunger especially on the panel with the box that has three connections needs a little help with a flathead from the backside to help it sink all the way in. I did this on both panels to ensure a positive connection.

Also the hooks are super important. They need to be pushed closer to the tank, I think they come out from the tank when you remove the panels. I followed your instructions and right before I attached the Velcro I pushed on the outside of the panel where the hook is to make the panel hug the tank tighter and then the Velcro attached and it was nailed. The panels look like they did before I touched them! Thanks again.

Secondly, as to why I made this post in the first place -

Looks like I made one critical error, I left the wire harness for the damper above the damper assembly where it bolts on to the frame instead of where it belongs beneath the U-shaped assembly hiding under the plastic piece in the front of the tank. I think the wire harness was catching somewhere or at least responsible somehow for the low speed pitch to the right.

I've attached two pictures before and after. Just finished buttoning everything up will go for a test ride after a bite to eat.

Will be back to comment on whether this was the fix or not (I'm thinking 90% yes).
Attached Images

turtle1000 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi All,

That was the problem. The bike is back to normal aside from the lower rpm power wheelies from the new air filter.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2016, 02:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Am i being daft but why did you remove the damper to fit an air filter?
And the damper cannot pitch you anywhere.
Its a damper which means when you turn the bars it trys to slow the turning down a very small amount.
And i question mine even works!
If you seriously have any kind if pitching thats noticable then id get the bike looked at coz thats not right.

Last edited by ukzx10r; 08-21-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
air filter, ohlins, side panel, steering damper, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in