Mechanic F***ed my forks up!! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-18-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Mechanic F***ed my forks up!!

Quick question. I have a track day sunday so its bothering me. I had a shop do my fork seals. I get home go to check the rebound clickers] and right leg only has 6 clicks of adjustment!! Fuuuck! And left about 8. Take it back they say they fixed it, i dial in the clickers in the parking lot. But like an idiot I didn't back all the way down or up. Come home again to find At a certain point of turning the rebound clickers all the way in they stop clicking and make 4 full rotations before bottoming out. Are those rotations without clicking still adjusting the valving? And is this going to significantly affect my adjustment range at the track? So pissed right now, of course their closed saturday FML. Thanks to anyone who has some insight!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

What year is the bike?

Edit: nevermind. I just noticed "gen3".

You can open the forks and try to fix it yourself. On gen 1, I suspect that you may get this kind of problem if you don't set the rebound screw to the proper position before putting the fork cap back on. The fix would be to remove the fork cap, and then put it back on the proper way. I have never had this type of issue before, so this is just a hypothesis.

Go for a ride, try a few turns and if you can comfortably set the rebound damping to "too much" and "too little", then it should be within an acceptable range of adjustment for track.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Took it back to the shop that following monday and they properly adjusted the set screw so i have equal adjustment clicks and proper amount of them. The track was awesome even with the uncertainty of my adjustments, 155 going into turn 8 at big willow with no complaints from the front end. Never having that shop do anything more than mounting tires from now on, thats for sure. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

yo have to follow the kawi manual and let that 12-13 mm gap on the rod and before that when i did my forks i counted the clicks and then installed the fork cap in order to get your clicks on the gen3. I had the same issue as you but luckily i have realised it at the time we finished the installation of the fork cap. it was scary at first but ok. we managed to sort it out quick enough
post #5 of 9 Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Tyler, for the sake of the rest of us SoCal locals, which shop did the work? Screw them for being amateurish and half-ass... call 'em out! We have a need to know too!

But glad it worked out anyway. You got more balls than me.. I can take turn 8 at 110ish, and get plenty of thrills to enjoy myself. You hardcore, homey! Ha!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I really didn't want to because I'm friends with a lot of people there but I need to for the community. I will say they are the absolute best for apparel,parts,etc. Best prices friendly. Service is good but not for people who race or really have specific needs. shot is wheels in motion. Fuckin epic tire prices and gear etc. I highly recommend them for that, bike sales as well JC danny, crystal, jonathan, tony are the shit.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_sti View Post
I really didn't want to because I'm friends with a lot of people there but I need to for the community. I will say they are the absolute best for apparel,parts,etc. Best prices friendly. Service is good but not for people who race or really have specific needs. shot is wheels in motion. Fuckin epic tire prices and gear etc. I highly recommend them for that, bike sales as well JC danny, crystal, jonathan, tony are the shit.
I have a problem with what I highlighted in RED above....not knowing how to put back a set of forks back to Stock level specs is not about racing it's about bad service....shit I didn't even know how to do it when I changed out my fork seals for the first time but did my research and knew going in that step needed to be done with the adjustment nuts no surprise......you would think a shop that does dozens of those a month should know more than me but apparently not.

you don't have to give up your source but please think about it this way if you had a son and sent him to a shop to have Fork service will you send them there?....I think NOT.

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.

Last edited by bluedevil; 11-13-2014 at 11:39 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Glad you got them sorted in the end. Still sucks you had to do a track day with them not being proper. Was there no suspension guys out at Willow? Anyway, I'd want to know what shops to avoid even though I do most my own work. Sometimes I'm lazy and have a place do my tires. Even then I'm skeptical. Place here in pueblo colorado called rocky mountain cycle plaza is a place you want to avoid. They stripped out two caliper bolts and snapped off one of my swingarm rearstand mounts when changing my tires. Never again will I have anyone remove wheels from my bike after that. I'll take them off myself and take them in.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #9 of 9 Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like the mech. didn't set the gap on the inside where the adjuster and rod meet up. I have never worked on the big piston forks but all forks I have seen have a bit of a gap there. If you get it too loose you can screw the adjuster up trying to set it. You wind up clicking the adjuster too far down before it can bottom out the internal dampening rod, don't ask me how I know this. If the gap is not the same on both forks you might have a different adj range from fork to fork which sounds like what happened.

2000 WR400 SM, 2004 KTM 300EXC, 2005 1800 Wing, 2006 ZX10R, 2017 ZX10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in