Looking for ideas re headshake please - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-22-2015, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Looking for ideas re headshake please

Hi all,

Having a bit of fun with my 10 at Phillip Island last week, and finally decided to try and tame the handling a little.

At the moment, when I change up gears down the main straight at full noise, it does a little headshake each time. I haven't consciously changed geometry (although the ex-BSB frame is new so possibly running a little more rear ride height. Pretty sure it was doing it before the frame change.

I have a set of adjustable offset triple clamps, and was thinking about swapping over the offsets to get some more trail. Does anyone have any other thoughts as to why it might be doing this ?

Suspect this is geometry rather than suspension setup.

Thanks,
Brian

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-22-2015, 09:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't know if anyone here is running a BSB frame which I'm sure is vastly different from a stock frame. Have you checked the British forums for info from someone using that frame. The stock Gen 4 needs some more rear ride height it doesn't headshake but tends to run wide on corner exit. Other than that the stock dampner needs a rebuild to work properly. Perhaps turn the dampner stiffer a bit may do the trick or have it rebuilt if you haven't done that yet.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks mate, fairly sure geometry is mostly the same (although linkage pivot point has been moved). Have done some work on the steering damper myself, soldered up the hole in the needle and turned / cleaned it on the lathe. Think I'll be trying the offsets first and see what happens; pain in the bum pulling the front end off, but I have the parts so at least no cost to it !

Cheers,
Brian

Do not walk behind me, for I may not be leading.
Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow.
Do not walk alongside me, for the path may be narrow.
Just piss off and leave me alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 09:34 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman43 View Post
Thanks mate, fairly sure geometry is mostly the same (although linkage pivot point has been moved). Have done some work on the steering damper myself, soldered up the hole in the needle and turned / cleaned it on the lathe. Think I'll be trying the offsets first and see what happens; pain in the bum pulling the front end off, but I have the parts so at least no cost to it !

Cheers,
Brian

Trying the offsets first sounds like the best Idea. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Yes its a pain to pull the front end apart but the results will probably be worth the effort.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd highly recommend that you put a Scotts (in Europe called Ohlins rotary) Stabilizer Damper on that bike Right Now.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 05:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

A slight headshake when accelerating is normal. I just watched a video I took of a session at a recent track day, I didn't even realize my track bike (GSX-R 750 L2) had been doing a little mild headshake when exiting turns under power. Camera shows it but never noticed it whilst riding. Gen 4 does it too.

Now if it is just plain ornery and unstable, that's a different story, you aren't giving a lot to go on.

But obviously if something has changed and the bike is scaring you, need to figure out why.

I have gotten that same bike to get really out of shape before, incipient tankslapper territory, being too crazy on the gas, power wheelies in 1st/2nd gear it will misbehave, but that was sloppy riding.

Cannot really diagnose or cure on the Internet, ride carefully until you sort it, then continue to ride carefully as no bike is "tankslapper-proof."

Sturm und Drang
post #7 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by louemc View Post
I'd highly recommend that you put a Scotts (in Europe called Ohlins rotary) Stabilizer Damper on that bike Right Now.
Better put something on it, need some kind of good damper for sure. I just don't hold with radical solutions right off the bat, tearing the whole front end off and changing up things is not likely to help. Especially since the torque on the steering head has a huge effect on this and that alone might cure it (torque steering bearings). Good luck with it.

Sturm und Drang
post #8 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 06:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Like White Fang said it's so hard to troubleshoot over the internet, too many variables. But from what you described you could try a turn of preload to see if the rear spring will give you a little more support.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

In my experience adding pre load makes the headshake worse. The stiffer rear acts to pogo the rear of the bike under load.

I solved my headshake by taking my bike back to stock geometry (which op can't do)
post #10 of 11 Old 12-22-2015, 02:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I lowered the rear and helped inmensly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in