How to setup rider specific suspension (need help!) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

How to setup rider specific suspension (need help!)

I've got a Gen2, bought second hand so i dont know if the setup on it now is stock or if its been setup for the guy who is half my size that was riding it before me. ive heard of people taking their bikes in to get the suspension setup for them. what is it they do in there?!

how do i go about setting it up for me? i know about the 3 adjustments for each component. compression, rebound and preload (sag?) i know the rings around the fork for preload and compression and rebound locations. i dont have a spanner to adjust rear but will get one if it has to change.

im 6'4, 205 lbs clothed, and am a good rider, have raced a couple times on track days etc..

any advice is good advice, thanks!

07 ZX10R - Full BEET exhaust, Attack rear sets, ASV levers, PC3, Speedo healer, GIPRO /w ATRE, -1+2 Vortex sprockets /w 525 DID gold chain, Rifleman 1/5 throttle conversion, K&N Air/Oil filters, Nissin ZX14 calipers, Goodridge front and rear steel braided black lines, Driven D3 Gas Cap, TechSpec grip pads, HID dual lights, Smoked signals and tail light, Zero Gravity smoke windscreen, Corbin seat, Grips, Bar ends, Fender eliminator, Servo eliminator, Secondary butterflies removed. etc... $$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

If you're on the stock springs, odds are you won't have all the adjustment range you would ideally want. If unsure, start with the manual recommended suspension settings, read

http://www.gostar-racing.com/informa...ion_set-up.htm

A couple few times, and spend an afternoon on your favorite five miles of twists adjusting accordingly. Or pay the suspension guy at the track a few bucks to do it for you. You'll like it better if you do it yourself though.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I have stiffer front springs, and an ohlins rear for 175lbs. I weigh 169, and my front compression is only a couple clicks from all the way out. Front rebound is about 2/3 of the total adjustment out, rear compression and rebound is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the range out (ccw). She's on rails at the track, and a monster on the street.

Keep in mind, suspension is objective in a broad sense, but the fine tuning is often subjective. If you're more comfortable than the next guy skipping the rear a bit on hard drives out of a corner, you can have different settings for the same weight and bike. Once it is in the ballpark, fine tuning is about what makes you confident, unless you can identify a symptom that dictates otherwise. Play around with it, you'll learn a lot by making single adjustments and carefully observing their affect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the replies. when i had my 9 i adjusted according to the manual then adjusted for a few weeks after, but i was never happy 100% with it. i managed to get it to where it was comfortable and safe but i know i could have gotten it better.

im not too sure how the adjustments work and why you would adjust them. i mean rebound is how fast it comes back up, compression is how fast it goes down. and preload is the stiffness of the springs? which has to do with compression and rebound???

i know enough to be dangerous. maybe ill get on it and it will be great! i dont know.

07 ZX10R - Full BEET exhaust, Attack rear sets, ASV levers, PC3, Speedo healer, GIPRO /w ATRE, -1+2 Vortex sprockets /w 525 DID gold chain, Rifleman 1/5 throttle conversion, K&N Air/Oil filters, Nissin ZX14 calipers, Goodridge front and rear steel braided black lines, Driven D3 Gas Cap, TechSpec grip pads, HID dual lights, Smoked signals and tail light, Zero Gravity smoke windscreen, Corbin seat, Grips, Bar ends, Fender eliminator, Servo eliminator, Secondary butterflies removed. etc... $$
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Check out the link I posted. It'll give you more explanation if what each part does, and symptoms of it being too soft or hard. You got the basics.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i didnt notice the link the first time. that was a good read. ill attempt it myself i suppose :)
anyone else have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in