HELP? with suspension adj. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

HELP? with suspension adj.

my suspension is set up for a 200/60-17 and i have now changed to a 190/55-17 on the back and now I am trying to figure out how much to adjust my suspension and where because of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd just add a click or two of compression and rebound to compensate for the angle and go from there. option 2, ad 5mm shim to the shock and call it a day to keep the numbers the same.

I'm assuming you already had your suspension dialed in though..

1990 CR 125 - blow'd up
2005 SV1000s - sold
2012 ZX-10R - sold
1987 YZF600 Track-only death machine
post #3 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 04:20 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacp_daddy View Post
I'd just add a click or two of compression and rebound to compensate for the angle and go from there. option 2, ad 5mm shim to the shock and call it a day to keep the numbers the same.

That is some of the worst advice I have ever witnessed on a motorcycle forum in recent years...
dricked and backfromthestorm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 04:29 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm no help to the suspension question but I am curious what brand 200/60 you have? I have a Dunlop 200/50

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #5 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

So bike was set up to run the 200/60 pirelli slick and ran the 200/55 supercoarsa on the street. Im not a track rider so I went to the Q3 in a 190/55 and i just want to get it right.
from what i can see the 200/60 is about 120mm where the 190/55 is about 104.5 mm don't know how to make up the 155 mm
post #6 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

wrap a string around each tire, KNOW the circumference then make adjustments IF needed. just because the numbers are the same, (or different) on the side of the tire, means they are the same (or different) upon real measurements. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
That is some of the worst advice I have ever witnessed on a motorcycle forum in recent years...
Really?? From the question alone it sounds like the op doesn't know much about suspension at all. Aside from going into detail about proper setups for his riding ability/weight which seemed a stretch from his basic question.. he lost 5mm ride height in tire, regaining it would be a simple solution if he enjoyed the previous setup and wanted to keep it the same, which is exactly what the original post suggests.

I understand it's a bandaid, but without a lot more information no one could provide a good solution for the op. Spending 10 minutes typing information and links on how to properly setup a base line could easily be over the OP's head.

Based on the basic question, 5mm of tire won't make much of a difference.

1990 CR 125 - blow'd up
2005 SV1000s - sold
2012 ZX-10R - sold
1987 YZF600 Track-only death machine
post #8 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 06:20 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok I have a little bit of time on my hands, not much, but enough to address some of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooboy View Post
wrap a string around each tire, KNOW the circumference then make adjustments IF needed. just because the numbers are the same, (or different) on the side of the tire, means they are the same (or different) upon real measurements. Ski

The overall geometry of the tires circumference when measured in a static setting is not going to be the same measurement when the bike is in under dynamic load and/or when the tire flattens out when riding on the edge of the tire which decreases those measurements. Just because you know the diameter of one tire to another it does not automatically mean those differences are the geometry adjustments required to maintain similar handling characteristics. The profile of the tire belting affects this just as much if not more than the actual tire size. In fact the handling of the bike when it is straight up and down is rarely the focal point of these kinds of geometry changes anyway as it is the size of the tire when it is leaned into the turn riding on the edges that cause the handling issues. We adjust the geometry to get the bike to follow through on corner exit or to not fight us on corner entry while trailbraking etc, but at the same time we are searching for that sweet spot that allows the trailbraking of the bike to alter the geometry in a manner that is conducive to the natural movement of the bike into and out of the turn. We do this by adding or removing ride height and making sure the damping rate is stiff enough to not allow excessive dive from the front end during those maneuvers, but rather facilitates the turn-in by offering proper front fork ride height under braking. Many riders want their bike to handle in neutral fashion where it does not try to fall into a corner or fight you requiring constant input into the handlebars to stay leaned into the turn. A neutral handling bike will basically allow you to let go of the handlebars in the middle of a constant radius turn and the bike will complete the turn on its own.

Ultimately it is impossible to truly tell someone how to fine tune their geometry as it is dependent on a myriad of variables not the least of which is what kind of riding they do, how much they hang off, how fast they are, what brand/size of tires and what type of feel and feedback they expect from their bike to give them the confidence they need. We can get them in the ballpark, but when it comes to the fine adjustments like the OP is asking about there is not really much any of us can add to his inquiry that he is not going to have to figure out by trial and error or in some cases someone might just get lucky in that their advice is close enough for him to be comfortable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacp_daddy View Post

I can tell you that you do not alter the static geometry of the bike to compensate for more or less ride height by changing the damping settings. Nor do you just arbitrarily tell someone to add 5mm shims to their shock mount etc. If his bike was handling properly originally and he had a 6mm shock at the clevis which adds roughly 18-24mm of ride height at the axle then adding another 5mm shim would double his ride height at the axle.

There is a ton more to discuss on this topic, but I've burned up my free time so hopefully some others will chime in and fill in the blanks I have left or further stimulate the conversation and we can continue to discuss it later.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

didn't mean for this to turn into an argument. Anyway, gonna take it out this weekend and see how it goes. I have a ttx so i can always make small adjustments without having to add shims right away, just wanted to know if it would be a huge deal. as it doe not seem to be i will test and alter. thank you
post #10 of 11 Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Its about rear ride height. I was using a 200/60 Pirelli slick on my track bike went back to Q3's 190/55 didn't have to change anything it was not a significant enough difference to worry about if your racing maybe you would have to change rear ride height some but for street or track day use its not that critical. my 02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in