Head Shake. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Head Shake.

Hello; Mike here. I have a Gen 3 with a Carpenter engine that makes 188 RWHP on a known stingy dyno. The bike in crazy fast, and handles very well. It gets ridden very aggressively on the street, and I also do track days. I am getting a lot of head shakes when on the gas hard, especially at higher speeds. I have a Scott's steering dampner on the bike which obviously helps, but I still get them badly. I have the stronger spring on the rear shock from Race Tech, and I have 3 lines showing on the front fork preload. Any ideas from the suspension guru's what to do to lessen the head shakes? Back off the preload? Raise the back of the bike? Slide the forks up through the triple trees some? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Start with the simplest issues known to cause this...Wheels/tires?
are they straight and balanced properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #3 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Well tighten up your damper! I have a scotts as well and I keep mine about a half turn from full stiff and have no problems.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
Well tighten up your damper! I have a scotts as well and I keep mine about a half turn from full stiff and have no problems.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I have a gpr and it goes 0-20 on the stiffness and im at 10...got a little headshake yesterday tightened it to 14....no problems! lol
post #5 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

front tire pressure, let some air out, the tire absorbs a lot of impact. hope this helps.

Battleax Hypersports bt016.

You only go around once, enjoy the ride...
post #6 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

How hard are you holding to the bars?

Dont go stiffening up the damper, it will only mask the problem.

If you are riding "right" and still getting a lot of shake it is a chassis problem, fixing it will be a lot better than just cranking the damper.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #7 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
How hard are you holding to the bars?

Dont go stiffening up the damper, it will only mask the problem.

If you are riding "right" and still getting a lot of shake it is a chassis problem, fixing it will be a lot better than just cranking the damper.
+1000

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The wheels are relatively new Marchesini's, and the tires were mounted, and balanced by the same place that always does them for me, so I don't think that is it. I have been riding for 30 years, and always on sportbikes, and I have ridden very hard for the last 20. I am very used to very high HP bikes, and high speed riding. I have had Scott's dampners on all of my bikes for the last 12 years, and am very familiar with them. I have it fairly tight now. I know that just cranking the dampner up is just masking something else, and besides I do not want to be fighting the dampner that much every time I turn. The bike is a real beast. It will effortlessly power wheelie at 140 in 4th. I've had it come up in 5th, and even 6th when it is cold out. I'm fine with that, but it just seems like whenever it does power wheelie at high speed it wants to shake it head. I have my suspension stiff as that is what I like for the hard riding that I do, but I just think it is a geometry issue. I was thinking maybe to slide the forks up through the triple tree's a little, and raise the rear end a little to change the pitch angle of the bike, and maybe that would help. I've never really messed with suspension settings that much, I've always worried more about the HP issue. I certainly have that covered with this bike, so now I need to get the suspension to handle it. I know there are plenty of people on this board who have a lot of suspension experience and that is why I asked. I do appreciate all of the help. Thanks. Mike.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Impressed with ur bike. Have u ever ran a gen 4 or bmw? Sounds like you'd at least smoke the gen 4..

post #10 of 17 Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 880turbo View Post
The wheels are relatively new Marchesini's, and the tires were mounted, and balanced by the same place that always does them for me, so I don't think that is it. I have been riding for 30 years, and always on sportbikes, and I have ridden very hard for the last 20. I am very used to very high HP bikes, and high speed riding. I have had Scott's dampners on all of my bikes for the last 12 years, and am very familiar with them. I have it fairly tight now. I know that just cranking the dampner up is just masking something else, and besides I do not want to be fighting the dampner that much every time I turn. The bike is a real beast. It will effortlessly power wheelie at 140 in 4th. I've had it come up in 5th, and even 6th when it is cold out. I'm fine with that, but it just seems like whenever it does power wheelie at high speed it wants to shake it head. I have my suspension stiff as that is what I like for the hard riding that I do, but I just think it is a geometry issue. I was thinking maybe to slide the forks up through the triple tree's a little, and raise the rear end a little to change the pitch angle of the bike, and maybe that would help. I've never really messed with suspension settings that much, I've always worried more about the HP issue. I certainly have that covered with this bike, so now I need to get the suspension to handle it. I know there are plenty of people on this board who have a lot of suspension experience and that is why I asked. I do appreciate all of the help. Thanks. Mike.

Mike,

Sounds like you know what you are doing.
Two things though, the light weight wheels will make the bike more "twitchy" than the stock rims, as in more unstable.

And 2, actually raising the front will make the bike more stable, maybe you could try that, lower the forks on the tree until they are flush.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in