GEN4: Heavy steeting after tire change - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

GEN4: Heavy steeting after tire change

So, as the title says, I just had a tire change. Tires were changed by me, balanced them myself as well with a static balancer.

This is the first tire change, so I went from the stock BT-16 to Dunlop Q2 tires. All went well and initial ride seemed fine until I went for a full run down the freeway. (Edit: it feels strange at low speed as well, while standing though its fine) I noticed right away that steering was way heavier than with stock tires. Immediately I thought the front is low on air pressure, which I upped to 35PSI to see if it helps. Even though it seemed to help a bit, I'm unable to throw the bike around like I was able to with the stock bike/tires, it just doesn't turn and I'm forced to wrestle with it to make it go say from lane to lane. Although, I think it feels more stable once I'm actually in a lean/turn.

My question; is it possible for this to happen if the:

A: Front axle is too tight and not properly torqued, would I feel anything else if that was to be the case?

B: Too much wheel weight on the front wheel? (When balancing, I've put 5 1/4oz pieces in the center of the wheel until the wheel stopped spinning on the balancer)

C: This is how Q2 tires feel since they are more track ready and compound is real soft.

D: Could it be something with the rear tire? (PSI there is around 35 right now as well)

Any help appreciated, I will attempt to make PSI and Weight changes later today and would love some help or input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 11:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The profile of the new tire is probably different than the old and the front has been lifted some. You may need to shim the rear shock or raise the forks in the triples a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #3 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
The profile of the new tire is probably different than the old and the front has been lifted some. You may need to shim the rear shock or raise the forks in the triples a bit.
I checked the sizes, stock were 120/70ZR-17 and 190/55ZR-17 the Dunlop Q2 are the same specs.

Appreciate the input, I'm starting to think the Q2 compound is way softer than the BT-16 and thus even with very high PSi, it still feels too soft up front. I'll try to test that theory by going up to 38 up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Your front tire was worn down compared to the new Q2. It will handle differently. The old tire was triangulated so it sort of "fell into" the turn as opposed to the new tire.

I'm not sure how it feels too soft to you. Softer means grippier, and that's what's great about the Q2s.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

No, none of the above, just you.

This bike is totally balanced and the slightest rider tight grip will make the steering heavy. All I do is tight twistie stuff with hard roll on in short straights on a totally well known loop.

The hard to steer thing hits me once in awhile. I immediately know what I'm doing and correct. I go totally LOOSE, and the bike then jumps up, kisses me, and life is all good again.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 04:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Even thought the sizes are the same you may find a difference in profiles from brand to brand/ model to model. The 016 profile may be a taller profile than the q2. This you may have gained front end ride height or lost rear end ride height. Geometry changes may be in order to adjust for the new tire.

Justin
post #7 of 8 Old 09-29-2012, 04:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
even thought the sizes are the same you may find a difference in profiles from brand to brand/ model to model. The 016 profile may be a taller profile than the q2. This you may have gained front end ride height or lost rear end ride height. Geometry changes may be in order to adjust for the new tire.

Justin
post #8 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to check out my suspension once again. I loosened the front axle as I thought it was too tight and it seems a bit better. Also, I agree on the profile, but it seemed very similar. I've rode the Rosso Corsa's before and those were great, I might go back to Pirelli after I'm though with these Q2's. The price was just unbeatable, so I took the Q2's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in