Gen3 ZX-10R Race Bike weired crashes. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen3 ZX-10R Race Bike weired crashes.

Hi,
I've just upgraded my 636R to a race ready Gen3 10R.
The bike is highly modified, it actually has everything you can think of.
I had my first ride with it last week at Serres Circuit in Greece and I was very disappointed.
I had 2 crashes with it, both was after losing the front, both was very weired as I know this track very well and both crashed happened to me while I was going slower than with my old 636.
I'm sure it has something to do with the front Ohlins suspensions because they didn't give my any feedback, they were very hard and Vague.
After hard braking the front wasn't even close to bottoming up. We tried everything, compression, preload, we even took some oil out of them. It got a little more stable but still the feedback from the front wasn't there. I got more feedback from my stock 636 suspensions.
I wanted to ask the racers among us that use the Gen3 at the track, How would you describe the feedback you get from the bike entering corners at high speed and the feedback in mid corner? I'm trying to figure out if the problem can be solved by setting the suspensions or maybe this bike doesn't provide the feedback I'm used to. I took a 2009 CBR1000RR for a few days at the track and it was amazing, with this one I never knew if I was going to fall or not !
One more thing, my second crash was even weirder than the first. I was going into turn 1 after braking from 260 to like 100, I entered the corner WITHOUT braking or abrupt the throttle, like going with a bicycle, and as I hit the apex the front just jumped on it side for a second or two like there is no traction and I found myself flying into the mud again only more surprised than the first time. I'm using the best front tire Dunlop has (KR's).
Is that what they call Chattering? Do you think all can be fixed with the correct suspensions setup?
Any help will be much appreciated guys.
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You said you changed everything but what springs are in there? When were the forks last serviced? Was the valving ever changed? How many laps were on that front tire? It sounds like you need to take the bike to a proper suspension tuner and have it sorted for you and your riding style.

Chatter is when the tire loses and regains grip rapidly for a short period of time. It sounds like you slid the front.
dghitman likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I wish I was fast enough to comment but I am struggling with suspension as well on my gen3. I want to go back to a 636.

2009 R6 Racebike - Up for sale!!! Let me know if interested.

2013 ZX10R- SOLD

2008 ZX10R- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-08-2015, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
You said you changed everything but what springs are in there? When were the forks last serviced? Was the valving ever changed? How many laps were on that front tire? It sounds like you need to take the bike to a proper suspension tuner and have it sorted for you and your riding style.

Chatter is when the tire loses and regains grip rapidly for a short period of time. It sounds like you slid the front.
The front springs are Ohlins, I don't have any idea regarding when it was last serviced or weather the valving were ever changed... The front tire was new, had like 20 laps on it. I used the same tire (only medium) on a CBR1000RR in October for 4 days and on the last day I clocked my best lap ever on this track. The front tire never gliched, not even once. The tire I used now was medium/hard because it was colder than on October. Service cost 400? so for now I'm trying to avoid it ;)
BTW, it does sounds like I had chattering. My front lost traction and was jumping on it side for a second or two and I lost the front and crashed. It came to me by surprise.
I had another race later that day and on the last lap it did it again but I was ready for it so I picked the bike up a bit to regain traction and maneged to finish second.
I have a friend who used to ride the same bike and he told me he had chattering as well...
I really don't know what do... Either sell the bike and buy a 2012 Honda or try to fix the problem and hope for the best. Fixing it will cost me a lot because beside paying the 400? for the service I will have to fly to Romania to work on the settings.
I really really love Kawasaki but those crashes really made me lose my confident with this bike...
post #5 of 13 Old 04-08-2015, 10:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm riding on stock front forks. I get good feedback. What are the ohlins sprung for? Sounds like the springs are just to stiff for your weight

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
post #6 of 13 Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What level of rider did you purchase this from? The valving, springs and settings for a "fast" rider at a national level is different than a trackday or regional racer level.

I don't mean for this to sound like a shot to the ego.

My first year of racing I bought a national racebike that was sprung for a very very fast rider. I thought it was a unridable pos.

Turns out I was not riding into the suspension settings.

Food for thought.

Also, my gen3 had fantastic feedback at the front end. I would hesitate to say that it is the brand or model of the bike.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
What level of rider did you purchase this from? The valving, springs and settings for a "fast" rider at a national level is different than a trackday or regional racer level.

I don't mean for this to sound like a shot to the ego.

My first year of racing I bought a national racebike that was sprung for a very very fast rider. I thought it was a unridable pos.

Turns out I was not riding into the suspension settings.

Food for thought.

Also, my gen3 had fantastic feedback at the front end. I would hesitate to say that it is the brand or model of the bike.
You may have something here...
This bike belonged to a rider that used to complete in Alpe Adria European Championship.
I ride pretty fast but no doubt they are faster than me. It is not a shot to my ego bro ;) I know my place.
Anyway, maybe the problem lay there.
What did you do to solve the problem with your bike?
Do I have to service the suspensions and set them to my specs, change the springs or only play with the settings?
Thanks for your help guys!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotem_46 View Post
This bike belonged to a rider that used to complete in Alpe Adria European Championship.
I ride pretty fast but no doubt they are faster than me. It is not a shot to my ego bro ;) I know my place.
Do I have to service the suspensions and set them to my specs, change the springs or only play with the settings?
I had the suspension revalved and resprung for me. I have had some of my instructors (who are fast and talented riders) take my race bike for a ride and tell me that it was harsh and unridable. However at pace I find that it is a bit of a couch and very easy to use. I am positve that you'll find that the Gen 3 is a great platform.

Enjoy!
post #9 of 13 Old 04-09-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotem_46 View Post
I had the suspension revalved and resprung for me. I have had some of my instructors (who are fast and talented riders) take my race bike for a ride and tell me that it was harsh and unridable. However at pace I find that it is a bit of a couch and very easy to use. I am positve that you'll find that the Gen 3 is a great platform.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I will definitely look into it.
Now please excuse my English, it's not my main language ;) but can you please explain to me what revalving and resprung mean exactly?
I mean, did you have to change something physical or just adjust the one you had?
I'm trying to understand if I'll have to change the springs inside the fork or not... Thanks!
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

No Problem. Revalving is done from your suspension tuner. What they do is build the shim stack that sits on top of the valve. That is based on your tires, riding ability and track.

Re springing is when you put in a spring that fits your riding ability, your tire,track, and particular style.

These 2 things will tend to be very rider specific. They can also cause very little feel if the suspension is way out of the range your riding it within
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in