Gen2 unever fork height after seals - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Gen2 unever fork height after seals

Hey y'all, as it says I did my seals and now they're uneven. Trying to finish up to sell her. Everything was set as it was and lockouts at same height. Oil level the same. Any idea how I fix this? Thanks! Selling because that's my new gen4 2014 right behind the forks in the picture!CT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0107.jpg (1.66 MB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 06:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Preload is adjusted differently, I couldn't tell you if that would make a difference but that's what I saw.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Is there free play and you can extend the shorter one? Can you explain more like what you did to redo them, did you take the bottom bolts out and disassemble them completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Did not remove the bottom bolts no. I followed the how-to guide on this site. I didn't remove the bottom bolts because i didn't want to fully disassemble, just everything up to get the seals off. So cap loosened, spring compressed, locknut, cap removal, removed spring and stuff to drain. Filled, reassembled.

The pre-load adjusters are only different because I had them set the same then read somewhere that could be it, but it's not. Both forks still compress and everything. Just can't figure out why they'd be so far off ~5mm. It's the throttle side that is higher, which was not the leaking side, so maybe there's still fluid in the bottom of that one so technically there's too much now from what i added? I mean i added and measured them from the top of the cap like the manual said to do if you don't have the actual fluid measuring tool.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Fluid level shouldn't have anything to do with that. They should still be able to fully extend equally with zero load on them with just the springs because there is quite a bit of tenstion to start with even with the preload all backed out. Your spring in one is upside down may be or missed a washer or added too many from one to the other? Broke or split the collar the plastic long spacer?
post #6 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The springs definitely both went back in the correct way with the smaller end at the top. Did not miss any washers or added any extra, any and all parts were laid out in the order they came out. Nothing left over, nothing extra added. I'll have to take it back apart and check to see if the collar split I suppose. I imagine if the collar split that would make the one sit lower, correct?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes no other choice but to take it apart. When you reassemble exactly as taken apart in reverse order you are trusting it to be right to start with and I have learned the hard way that is not always the case. I always consult the manual from that lesson. Download the manual if you donít got it already. It is much easer to put back together when you can clearly see what belongs where and in what orientation.

Can you force extend the shorter one to the same length as the longer one by hand and is there free play to where it sits before extending it by hand?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have the manual and that's what i followed disassembling and reassembling along with a step by step how-to with pictures on the forum.

As far as the play goes, Yes--i can pull up on the tube to bring it to the same height (it obviously goes back down right after), No--i can't really tell of any free play.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

If you can pull it up and it sags on its own then that means that physically the distance as per the pic attached is too short in the internals of that fork, its just a matter of figuring out why.

I took the pics from ebay, I find that to be a good resource for clear pictures. Sorry for my lack of paint skills 06 07 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R Front Fork Internals Shock Suspension Spring | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	376178  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Haha sweet! I mean not sweet that something isn't completely right, but I'll tear into them again probably today after work so I'll see what i find and post back! With HD pictures not from ebay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in