• 1 Post By evallarta1
  • 1 Post By Melampus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question >> Gen1: Fork Rebound & Compression Screws <<

I'm delving into testing out some different suspension settings, and I want to make sure my hardware has it's basic functions.

My REBOUND adjustor (screw in center of preload adjustor) only rotates a total of 1.25 revolutions or 5 clicks (+ the dead space at each end of the spectrum). Only 5 clicks? My guess is something is wrong there, or it is really only five clicks of adjustability on the stock screw.

My COMPRESSION (screw at base of fork) has a total of 17 clicks which seems right.

Embracing the silence amid a life & land full of static...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-04-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question >> Shock Comp/Rebound <<

Also checked full rotations (no clicks) on the shock screws, and I get 5.5 full rotations out on the COMPRESSION screw from screwed fully in, and I get 3.5 full rotations out on the REBOUND screw from screwed fully in.

Sound right?

post #3 of 10 Old 10-05-2018, 03:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Your rebound adjuster needs to be reset. The cap needs to be removed and the rebound adjuster should be set and then installed. Usually happens when a set of fork seals is replaced and the forks are slapped back together without checking the rebound. As a default we set the fork caps with 4 turns of rebound for all forks.
Capncalyx likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-05-2018, 03:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Here ya go lil buddy.

https://youtu.be/w8oqhdAElXI?t=68

Velocity Calibrations
post #5 of 10 Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melampus View Post
Also checked full rotations (no clicks) on the shock screws, and I get 5.5 full rotations out on the COMPRESSION screw from screwed fully in, and I get 3.5 full rotations out on the REBOUND screw from screwed fully in.

Sound right?

I feel like a 2*$ manual would do you some good. Whichever one is available for your year/model.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
post #6 of 10 Old 10-06-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question

CALYX <> I agree! www.volksdragon.net/dusk/04-05%20ZX10R%20Service%20Manual.pdf

VALLARTA1 <> First, thank you for your input. I was hoping someone whom works on suspension, such as yourself, would weigh in with their experienced opinion(s). The video link is appreciated, as well; it's nice to see something other than Dave Moss as I've been on a Moss Marathon for longer than I'd care to admit.

Quick story on my bike: it was a track bike that I picked up cheap to fix, clean up, & convert to street. The guy [I bought it from] told me he paid someone to "setup" the suspension for him whom was around 220 w/gear... I'm 270 out of the shower. Whomever "set up" the suspension had the shock preload so stiff that I'm getting 3/4" of sag in the back, and the fork preload was at half. I was speaking a couple days ago with a regional racer, Seth Starnes, that gave me some baseline comp & rebound settings, that I used, and the bike is acting dramatically better on the street. Biggest change was I maxed the fork preload which seems to had evened her out a lot.

Anyhow, I bring up the bike history because I don't know what's been done, but I can compress the forks really far just push testing them & I bottom them out on the brakes so I deduce they're stock springs. Not so much that I feel them "thud" at the bottom of the stroke, but I bury the ziptie all the way to the casting. Shock is stiff, but it's also preloaded to the max as illustrated below.

Forks/Shock compression/rebound video: https://www.magisto.com/video/MV5GPl...?l=vsm&o=w&c=c

So my question for you now, VALLARTA1, is I have found the Gen1 manual online which states full adjustment numbers for all four screws (i.e., forks- 11 clicks rebound/13 clicks compression & shock- 4.5 turns rebound/ 4 turns compression), but considering my bikes forks & shock are not exhibiting those numbers is a full disassembly/reassembly on the forks likely capable of correcting it? I mean & I'm not being a smartass, but I do know how to count, and the 17 total clicks of compression & 5 clicks of total rebound Im getting on my fork does not match the 11 & 13 clicks the manual says it should have. And then the shock, I mean its not like someone took apart a stock shock so I'm stumped as to why I can get 5.5 full rotations on my compression (on the top) & 3.5 full rotations on my rebound (on the bottom).

I guess it's quite obvious the forks, at least, need to be totally disassembled, but I'm posting here because you, a professional, I'm hoping will see something I type & maybe you recognize something I wouldn't ever. It just seems so strange to me, a layman, to have such variance in these adjustors, you know?

Thanks again for your input. Everything helps.

post #7 of 10 Old 10-07-2018, 03:30 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

On my fork I have ~10 klics rebound , but even total OUT still to slow. Then when i change the oil I set cap to have more rebound adj to loose side . May be next time i will use 5W not 10W .....

On the shock was same thing . I am 70-75 kg and after I set the sag , run out of adj . REB was only 1/4 turn IN . COMP max out and still not work good (to stiff) .... I check manual to change shock oil , but there is no such a option. Then I just buy Elka shock ...... different planet :D

Last edited by teror1sta; 10-08-2018 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-09-2018, 09:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melampus View Post
CALYX <> I agree! www.volksdragon.net/dusk/04-05%20ZX10R%20Service%20Manual.pdf

VALLARTA1 <> First, thank you for your input. I was hoping someone whom works on suspension, such as yourself, would weigh in with their experienced opinion(s). The video link is appreciated, as well; it's nice to see something other than Dave Moss as I've been on a Moss Marathon for longer than I'd care to admit.

Quick story on my bike: it was a track bike that I picked up cheap to fix, clean up, & convert to street. The guy [I bought it from] told me he paid someone to "setup" the suspension for him whom was around 220 w/gear... I'm 270 out of the shower. Whomever "set up" the suspension had the shock preload so stiff that I'm getting 3/4" of sag in the back, and the fork preload was at half. I was speaking a couple days ago with a regional racer, Seth Starnes, that gave me some baseline comp & rebound settings, that I used, and the bike is acting dramatically better on the street. Biggest change was I maxed the fork preload which seems to had evened her out a lot.

Anyhow, I bring up the bike history because I don't know what's been done, but I can compress the forks really far just push testing them & I bottom them out on the brakes so I deduce they're stock springs. Not so much that I feel them "thud" at the bottom of the stroke, but I bury the ziptie all the way to the casting. Shock is stiff, but it's also preloaded to the max as illustrated below.

Forks/Shock compression/rebound video: https://www.magisto.com/video/MV5GPl...?l=vsm&o=w&c=c

So my question for you now, VALLARTA1, is I have found the Gen1 manual online which states full adjustment numbers for all four screws (i.e., forks- 11 clicks rebound/13 clicks compression & shock- 4.5 turns rebound/ 4 turns compression), but considering my bikes forks & shock are not exhibiting those numbers is a full disassembly/reassembly on the forks likely capable of correcting it? I mean & I'm not being a smartass, but I do know how to count, and the 17 total clicks of compression & 5 clicks of total rebound Im getting on my fork does not match the 11 & 13 clicks the manual says it should have. And then the shock, I mean its not like someone took apart a stock shock so I'm stumped as to why I can get 5.5 full rotations on my compression (on the top) & 3.5 full rotations on my rebound (on the bottom).

I guess it's quite obvious the forks, at least, need to be totally disassembled, but I'm posting here because you, a professional, I'm hoping will see something I type & maybe you recognize something I wouldn't ever. It just seems so strange to me, a layman, to have such variance in these adjustors, you know?

Thanks again for your input. Everything helps.
If you were a customer in my shop, I would recommend a full teardown. The reason why is pretty simple, you have a TON of weird things going on. Are they stock springs, stock valving, are the comp adjusters changed out? If you're not 100% sure whats inside your suspension, there is a very good chance you'll be chasing scenarios and wont be able to figure out solutions. By having all your variables known, you can make much more educated decisions.

The other reason why I would highly suggest pulling everything apart is the last "tuner" clearly did somethings wrong, and without pulling everything apart you wont know your suspension is 100% safe!

In the great words of G.I. Joe, knowing is half the battle.

Velocity Calibrations
post #9 of 10 Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by teror1sta View Post
On my fork I have ~10 klics rebound , but even total OUT still to slow. Then when i change the oil I set cap to have more rebound adj to loose side . May be next time i will use 5W not 10W .....

On the shock was same thing . I am 70-75 kg and after I set the sag , run out of adj . REB was only 1/4 turn IN . COMP max out and still not work good (to stiff) .... I check manual to change shock oil , but there is no such a option. Then I just buy Elka shock ...... different planet :D
Yup same issue with your forks. Rebound needle wasnt able to be pulled out fully during adjustments which causes slow return of the forks.

Velocity Calibrations
post #10 of 10 Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
TEROR1 <> Man, congratulations on the new shock!

VALLARTA1 <> I sorta knew it went w/o saying, but it still feels better to hear it from a pro. Thank you for your time & input.
evallarta1 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in