5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nfamous60
  • 4 Post By Siwa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-02-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 susp. Setup and help

Hey everyone wanted to ask what setups are gen owners using on the factory suspension pieces. Example like preload rebound my front is pretty chattery think I need to soften it. But I didn't set the sag. Is there someone who can guide me through this on the gen 5 I've never set sag. I would be doing it by myself.
2K16/10r likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Look up Dave Moss Tuning on YouTube. Some excellent advice in there.

As for me; I'm about 100kg in full gear and I'm running:

Fork Preload = 5 in (so that's 5 full turns clockwise from being wound all the way out ie counterclock wise). Turn anticlockwise to soften, clockwise to harden. Preload is simply compressing or decompressing the spring in order to have it sit in the correct stroke for the weight on it.
The springs in the forks are 1.15kg which are abnormally heavy for a stock bike. For the average bloke, think of a 1kg spring is good enough for a 100kg rider. A .85 spring good for an 85kg rider etc. Obviously the faster you get the harder you will be braking so then you need to adjust by moving to heavier springs. Fast club racers start moving toward the 1.5 mark.

Fork Compression = 1.5 out (stock should be around 3.5 out. So turn all the way clockwise and then count the clicks turning anticlockwise. Each click is a half turn)
Fork Rebound = 2 out
Shock Compression = 1.5 out
Shock Rebound = 2.5 out

Fork Sag = 15mm (this is far too little, but the heavy springs make it problematic to get it into the optimal range of 30-35mm)
Shock Sag = 25mm (should be 25-30mm)

Look up a video on how to set your sag. It's quite easy but you'll need a friend to help you set it as you have to sit on the bike in your full gear, both feet up so full weight on the suspension.

The problem with the Gen 5's and even the Gen 4's is they have excellent forks but are quite hard, but they have shit shocks and are very soft. Off the showroom floor my shock was at 45mm of sag. This causes the end to squat which pitches the nose up. This in turn lengthens the rake angle of the forks and makes tip in slower. It also stops the shock from raising under acceleration out of corners which can push the front as the front is raising but the back is not matching it evenly.

Hope this helps.

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Perfect man really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-21-2019, 01:59 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hey, i just got a zx10rr, im a club racer and it looks like you know about this suspension, remember that this the RR comes with front 10.75nm springs(wich are different form the standar R, i think they are softer) my weight is maybe 2 kg less than you, very similar so, do you think that those settings would be good start for me? I mean, for the track, maybe different preload beacuse of the different spring but same valve settings? Or with other spring everything is different?

Just to say, our tracks are very VERY bumpy but we have long straight, chicanes and mid and high speed corners. I said BUMPY hahaha

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in