Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gen 5 Rear Wheel Removal

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  metalmechanic9 
#1 ·
So I have changed my rear tire on the zx10 at least a half dozen times already and I think 2 out of the 6 times it went back together smoothly...

What tricks are you guys doing to keep the caliper and spacers in line? The clearance between the swingarm is super tight and doesn't allow for any wiggle room.

I recently purchased a Pit Bull tire wedge which helps one aspect of it. Do you guys angle the wheel a little to get both spacers in? Do you send axle through on caliper side? This is what I'm doing but like I said sometimes it falls together and other times I find myself covered in blood, sweat, and tears!

#2 ·
Dude, it's hard but I think the best way is to figure out how it works best for you. Then...get captive spacers and a FastFranks setup lol!

Reactions: wheelz96
#3 ·
I don't feel I need to throw any more bling on the bike. This rear wheel is a pain in the ass and was just seeing if people have figured out any little tricks to make it a little smoother.

So far ordering a tire wedge has been the best money spent but I am also wondering if because I have used a cheap rear stand in the past if it's allowing the swingarm to cave in just enough to make it even harder.. Not sure if this is happening but I am looking for anything to make this quicker and smoother!

I learned my lesson and finally ordered a Pit Bull so I will see if the extra support helps any..

#7 ·
I ended up doing that at the track last weekend and it did help but they still would fall out..

I literally just ordered some Driven captive spacers. Pricey and should have made some at work but it's done and now no more spacer falling plus I will have some red anodized bling...

#9 ·
So read this when I was trying to install the rear wheel of my 2016 zx10r for a tire change. And, after putting it down for the night tried again the next day - realizing the rear sprocket assembly wasn't seated completely. Looks like tire installer pulled the sprocket after tire install. I got out the rubber mallet, tapped the rear sprocket as flush to the rim as possible, and wheel went right on. Didn't need the fancy spacers after all.

#14 ·
I had a gixxer 1000 k5 trackbike with captive spacers and lightech chain adjusters for almost 6 years could get the rear wheel in and out almost with my eyes closed so easy.
I got the wheel in and out the gen 5 zx10r 2 times first time I strugglled a bit but I suceeded the 2nd time I tryed 1000 times could not do it asked a friend to help me took 2 people 3/4 hands and 10 minutes to get it in:biggrin:

NOW I have captive spacers + I took the pads out and chamfered them where the disc goes first if placing the wheel
This already makes a big difference and does not cost that much to do.

but decided to make the zx10r my trackbike I wanted it to be super easy to get the wheel in and out fast so I orderd the fast frank caliper hanger that also has a groove machined in it that cathcehs the captive spacer.
I can pull my rear axle out and the wheel stays in place and now its upside down so super easy to get the wheel in and out:grin2::grin2::grin2:

PS I did not buy a quick relaese kit or the rails on both sides just the rear brake caliper:wink2:

#15 ·
just forgot I also bought an axle guide and I am planning to dril some small holes in the pads so I can lockwire the side that does not have a piston against the back of the caliper so the pads dont slide around or fall out while the wheel is out.
The less effort it takes in between sessions the better it can be very frustrating when you want to go on track in a couple of minutes but cant get your damn wheel back in the bike lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.