Gen 5 Rear Wheel Removal - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 10-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I've had good luck unscrewing the rear brake caliper pin and removing the brake pads before I remove the wheel. It makes it much easier to get the caliper and bracket back on. Just my $0.02.
Guarf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 10-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
I suppose I will crumble here and order captive spacers.. That should eliminate 50% or more of the struggle. Thanks for the tips guys and I will continue down the money pit road lol!
Kinda related but captive spacers made it easier by a mile to change my rear wheel on my gen 1. Just do it :D
post #13 of 15 Old 10-16-2019, 11:35 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
just crack open the rear res lid, pry open the pads on the read caliper and use a cut piece of 2x6 to roll the tire up into place. I just use my foot to do it and use superbike lifters instead of spools so not sure if it makes a difference but can do it by myself in less than 5 min
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 01:23 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I had a gixxer 1000 k5 trackbike with captive spacers and lightech chain adjusters for almost 6 years could get the rear wheel in and out almost with my eyes closed so easy.
I got the wheel in and out the gen 5 zx10r 2 times first time I strugglled a bit but I suceeded the 2nd time I tryed 1000 times could not do it asked a friend to help me took 2 people 3/4 hands and 10 minutes to get it in

NOW I have captive spacers + I took the pads out and chamfered them where the disc goes first if placing the wheel
This already makes a big difference and does not cost that much to do.

but decided to make the zx10r my trackbike I wanted it to be super easy to get the wheel in and out fast so I orderd the fast frank caliper hanger that also has a groove machined in it that cathcehs the captive spacer.
I can pull my rear axle out and the wheel stays in place and now its upside down so super easy to get the wheel in and out

PS I did not buy a quick relaese kit or the rails on both sides just the rear brake caliper
Guarf likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
just forgot I also bought an axle guide and I am planning to dril some small holes in the pads so I can lockwire the side that does not have a piston against the back of the caliper so the pads dont slide around or fall out while the wheel is out.
The less effort it takes in between sessions the better it can be very frustrating when you want to go on track in a couple of minutes but cant get your damn wheel back in the bike lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in