Gen 4 ZX10 lowering front - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 4 ZX10 lowering front

im sure this has been covered somewhere, but i cant find the info im looking for. maybe because it cant be done??

i have a 2014 zx10 with the electronic damper. im trying to figure out if there is a way to slide the forks. my questions are:

can i swap to a manual 2011/12 damper? not sure if they are smaller or will allow it.

is there a way to trick the ecu if i swap it? or do i just leave the old one plugged in and hide it.

or is there something else i havent thought of? im trying to avoid strapping or cutting the forks. sorry if its all out there already. maybe im not searching for the right things.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

You can slide them down, but only about a 1/4" till it hits the plug. You are correct that you would need to swap out to 11/12 damper, I'm not sure if it would throw a light, but nothing a little resistor couldn't fix.. I wouldn't just hide it somewhere on the bike.

You can send them out and have them lowered internally with "lowering springs", Karns Performance local to me was going to do it for $200, I didn't want mine cut either due to possibly going back to stock height.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
No, you can't swap the damper out to lower the front. The hydraulic unit is basically the same size and placement as the electronic unit and won't clear the fork tubes if you push them up a significant amount. You have to go to a rotary damper or remove it all together. And then deal with the resulting FI light.

Strap it, cut the springs, swap to a different style damper, or leave it alone like it was intended.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evojunky View Post
You can slide them down, but only about a 1/4" till it hits the plug. You are correct that you would need to swap out to 11/12 damper, I'm not sure if it would throw a light, but nothing a little resistor couldn't fix.. I wouldn't just hide it somewhere on the bike.

You can send them out and have them lowered internally with "lowering springs", Karns Performance local to me was going to do it for $200, I didn't want mine cut either due to possibly going back to stock height.

Wrong. It will throw a light and you can not jumper out the electronic damper. There's no simple fix for the light if the damper removed. There's a feedback circuit in there and it's not something corrected with a resistor.

The easiest thing to do (which is still not that easy), is to remove the motor from the end of the electronic damper and hide the little motor somewhere on the bike. This removes the bulk of the damper unit but keeps the circuit intact to prevent the light from coming on. But it still requires some fiddling with it.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 09-01-2015 at 08:59 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
No, you can't swap the damper out to lower the front. The hydraulic unit is basically the same size and placement as the electronic unit and won't clear the fork tubes if you push them up a significant amount. You have to go to a rotary damper or remove it all together. And then deal with the resulting FI light.

Strap it, cut the springs, swap to a different style damper, or leave it alone like it was intended.
When I lowered my forks a little, it only slightly hit the edge of the plug... figured it would clear for sure without it. I guess that's what I get for being a newb haha
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Use some spacers under the mounting points of the damper with longer bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in