Gen 4 Wheel install - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Zr1
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Question Gen 4 Wheel install

What's your process in order for putting the rear wheel on? I'm spending entirely too much time between sessions getting my rear wheel on. Frustrating to say the least.... Thanks guys

CMRA #713
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

PAIN IN THE BALLS. I find that taking the brake pads out of the caliper makes it easier when you go to put the wheel back on but still a pain in the balls
post #3 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 AM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Too easy on the Gen4 dude. Done it many times. If it would help, put a large flat head screw driver in between the rear brake pads and twist it so they open up a bit. Will make it easier to slip over the rotor, just make sure you pump the brakes before you take off.

Put both feet under the tire to keep it in the air, makes it very easy to balance and keep at the height you need to slide axle through. Should be able to wiggle the caliper bracket into place, just make sure you have the axle ready to go.

Strictly for my Ninjas
https://www.instagram.com/mistr.123/
Current Ride: 2016 ZX-10R ABS (under construction)
Former Ride: 2011 ZX-10R ABS
17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Zr1
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Too easy on the Gen4 dude. Done it many times. If it would help, put a large flat head screw driver in between the rear brake pads and twist it so they open up a bit. Will make it easier to slip over the rotor, just make sure you pump the brakes before you take off.

Put both feet under the tire to keep it in the air, makes it very easy to balance and keep at the height you need to slide axle through. Should be able to wiggle the caliper bracket into place, just make sure you have the axle ready to go.
Easy my ass, the r1 was easy to pop the wheel on.

It's not really the pads that were giving me fits, it's the damn spacers, every time I attempt to get it all lined up, they drop out.

CMRA #713
post #5 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr1 View Post
Easy my ass, the r1 was easy to pop the wheel on.

It's not really the pads that were giving me fits, it's the damn spacers, every time I attempt to get it all lined up, they drop out.
Well, only the brake side spacer should be popping out. Put some grease on it and it will stick in there better. When you have the wheel in the air getting everything in place, the sprocket side spacer should be touching the swingarm so there's no way that should be falling out.

Strictly for my Ninjas
17/41, Woolich Racing Tuned ECU and QS, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, CL XBK5 pads, Yosh case sliders, Mivv Carbon w/ Ti Akra link
post #6 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 12:08 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Captive spacers?
post #7 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM
ZX-10R enthusiast

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
Captive spacers?
I haven't felt the need for them. They made the spacers much easier on this bike, rotor side doesn't stick out very far once fully seated so it's less likely to pop out when it makes contact with the caliper bracket.

Strictly for my Ninjas
post #8 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Zr1
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Well, only the brake side spacer should be popping out. Put some grease on it and it will stick in there better. When you have the wheel in the air getting everything in place, the sprocket side spacer should be touching the swingarm so there's no way that should be falling out.
The brake side spacer was the problem, I'll try grease to keep it in place when aligning everything to slide in. Eddie T suggested that too.

CMRA #713
post #9 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 01:18 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
well, only the brake side spacer should be popping out. Put some grease on it and it will stick in there better. When you have the wheel in the air getting everything in place, the sprocket side spacer should be touching the swingarm so there's no way that should be falling out.

2011, guhl flash and tune,k&N race spec,Graves ti. 3/4 slipon,1/5 turn insert,-1+2 sprockets,tech spec tank pads,hotbodies venom windscreen,T-rex racing fork and frame sliders, 55w hids,Ivans block off plates,Black Pro bolt kit, Speigler braided brake lines, Mikey Moto lightweight rear rotor.CRG RC2 shorty levers, Suspension Technologies reworked shock
post #10 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I haven't felt the need for them. They made the spacers much easier on this bike, rotor side doesn't stick out very far once fully seated so it's less likely to pop out when it makes contact with the caliper bracket.
Haven't had the wheels off yet so I guess I'll find out. I was running two gsxrs last year, one with and one without the spacers. The one with them required far less swear words and 1/2 the time. I'll try a wheel change before I pony up the cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in