Gen 4: TTX GP adjustment knob mounting locations? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Gen 4: TTX GP adjustment knob mounting locations?

Just curious what most have done with the oem And aftermarket subframes. The only place it seems to mount on the oem, without the adjustment cable rubbing on the swing arm, is on the left passenger peg hole. Just looks out of place there to me.
I will have the Motoholders subframe soon, so will have to figure something else out then.
Here's a couple pics,
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411659331.376378.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	287977

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411659402.469063.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	287985

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Most of the people I've seen have it mounted in that same general location, but using the forward hole and running the knob back parallel with the tail section as much as possible.

And I would advice NOT running the line through the swingarm opening like that! That's asking for trouble if the swingarm pivots down and rips the line out of the adjuster or limits the downward stroke of the rear suspension. That's not good at all.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Gen 4: TTX GP adjustment knob mounting locations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Most of the people I've seen have it mounted in that same general location, but using the forward hole and running the knob back parallel with the tail section as much as possible.

And I would advice NOT running the line through the swingarm opening like that! That's asking for trouble if the swingarm pivots down and rips the line out of the adjuster or limits the downward stroke of the rear suspension. That's not good at all.

Well the problem lie's with the cable itself and its orientation to the swing arm. If you try to route it over it, it puts strain on the connection at the shock, because the swingarm is pushing on the line about 1.5"-2" away from the shock.
Alberto said he tested the suspension, in its current orientation, to insure that the cable doesn't touch anything when the bike is fully decompressed. When under compression it only gives it more slack.
I've tried routing it different ways too since I've had it back, and this seems to be the only way it doesn't make contact.
I originally figured the adjuster would be in line with the tail as well, though noticed that the nuts that hold the adjustment knob to the bracket are in the way of the subframe. This could of course be solved by spacing the bracket about 3/8" away from it, though when the knob is at that angle, the cable makes contact again.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411663100.526471.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	287993

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411663184.491592.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	288001

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1411663224.556732.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	288009

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Anyone with the TTX GP on the gen 4 please post photo's of your set up.

What is best in life?..
post #5 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I've got mine mounted the same way except the hydraulic cable goes over the swing arm. This way looks fine to me too.

On a side note:
If anyone is using the forward mounting hole for your preload adjuster, make sure the bolt is not too long. I had mine previously mounted there, had a minor lowside, and it put a hole into the gas tank.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH-FIGHTER View Post
Well the problem lie's with the cable itself and its orientation to the swing arm. If you try to route it over it, it puts strain on the connection at the shock, because the swingarm is pushing on the line about 1.5"-2" away from the shock.
Alberto said he tested the suspension, in its current orientation, to insure that the cable doesn't touch anything when the bike is fully decompressed. When under compression it only gives it more slack.
I've tried routing it different ways too since I've had it back, and this seems to be the only way it doesn't make contact.
I originally figured the adjuster would be in line with the tail as well, though noticed that the nuts that hold the adjustment knob to the bracket are in the way of the subframe. This could of course be solved by spacing the bracket about 3/8" away from it, though when the knob is at that angle, the cable makes contact again.
Can you mount it on the right side of the bike instead?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Can you mount it on the right side of the bike instead?

Was thinking about trying that. Might do it in a bit. There would be more slack on the line, due to the offset shock. It's just a pain in the dick to get the adjuster through the swing arm without putting too much stress on the connections, or marking up the adjuster, and there's even less room on that side to navigate.

What is best in life?..
post #8 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'm really mostly interested in set ups on the Motoholder's subframe. I 'think' the only solution for mounting the bracket is on the right side anyway, through the provided exhaust hanger bracket holes.
Just hoping someone doesn't say I have to use zip tie's

What is best in life?..
post #9 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Kind of a crappy pic but as you can see the cable is over the swingarm. I used a piece of clear tubing, cut it down the middle and zip tied it over the adjuster hose. After 6 race weekends there's very little wear on the outside hose and none on the swingarm. I'll take a better pic tonight.

I wouldn't route it through the swingarm for the same reason sky said.

I have a motoholders subframe now and drilled a hole into the plastic under tray for the bolt. I'll have a pic in a couple hrs for you.

Last edited by dricked; 09-25-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks Dricked, I may have to use your method with the clear hose over the line, however the big difference is that your connection go's straight into the adjuster instead of at a 90 degree angle like mine. I may still be able to make it work like that, if it's over the swing arm, but I'm going to have figure something out with the bracket to make it work, or fab a new one.
What shock is that btw?

What is best in life?..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in