Gen 4: Suspension setup with standard springs and shock - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up Gen 4: Suspension setup with standard springs and shock

Weighing only 67 kg / 148 lb with standard shock and springs, having correctly set the sag, I recently used the suspension settings from Sport Rider Dec 2011 ABS Comparison below.
For me it has transformed the handling. It feels far more planted, quicker turn-in with no more TC induced rear axle hop from fast acceleration in low gears. The latter presumably from the increased high speed compression damping.
Attached Images

Street: Unrestricted ECU | -1 +1 | Bazzaz QS4 USB | APE CCT | 1/5th throttle insert | re-valved SD | ZG DB screen | Spiegler SS lines | TechSpec tank grips & pad | LSL sliders | Carbonadi case covers | R&G tail tidy | R&G Tank Sliders | Leo Vince slip-on | 55W HID low / +120% xenon high | OzzieMoto radiator protector | the2wheels levers...
Track: Most of the above +: Doctor Glass fairings | Sato rearset | link pipe| Bazzaz ZFI-QS| Hell's servo eliminator | 520 chain -1, +1 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

cool stuff

ZX14 cam chain tensioner making noise? I have the set it and forget it fix. PM me if I can help.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Hi Quantum.

Are you using this for street, track, or both?

I'm about 64kg, no gear. I checked my sags (with gear) with stock settings, had 25mm front, 35mm rear.
I am now 3 turns in from full soft on the forks and 12mm thread showing on preloads... That gives me about 25-27mm of sag both ends...

The one ride I've had, it feels better...

PS: I only just got the bike and am starting the adjusting...

Interesting enough is that the owners manual and service manual standard settings for the rear shock compression, don't match...

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm really keen to set mine up correctly... Any tips for a beginner?

Currently everything is set to service manual standard... I am wondering about the fork tube showing above the top triple though? We don't have that on the G4 do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 39 Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter34 View Post
Hi Quantum.

Are you using this for street, track, or both?

I'm about 64kg, no gear. I checked my sags (with gear) with stock settings, had 25mm front, 35mm rear.
I am now 3 turns in from full soft on the forks and 12mm thread showing on preloads... That gives me about 25-27mm of sag both ends...

The one ride I've had, it feels better...

PS: I only just got the bike and am starting the adjusting...

Interesting enough is that the owners manual and service manual standard settings for the rear shock compression, don't match...
I have two bikes, one road and the other track. I presently have them both set per above. Somewhat firm on the road but for me way better than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumiera View Post
I'm really keen to set mine up correctly... Any tips for a beginner?

Currently everything is set to service manual standard... I am wondering about the fork tube showing above the top triple though? We don't have that on the G4 do we?
After setting the sag http://www.onthethrottle.com/howto/d...ng-setting-sag which is somewhat painful.
I have the front sag at 38 mm on full soft - for my weight and the rear 33 mm (30 track). With zip ties on the fork tubes and a full dry road ABS stop the max fork compression is still 10mm from bottoming.

For the hydraulic damping, as a starting point I'd suggest setting per above.

To improve tip-in, you can then raise the fork tubes. An alternative that taller & heavier riders have done is to shim the rear shock.
Search - from memory there were many posts on this back in 2011.

Cheers
Rod

Street: Unrestricted ECU | -1 +1 | Bazzaz QS4 USB | APE CCT | 1/5th throttle insert | re-valved SD | ZG DB screen | Spiegler SS lines | TechSpec tank grips & pad | LSL sliders | Carbonadi case covers | R&G tail tidy | R&G Tank Sliders | Leo Vince slip-on | 55W HID low / +120% xenon high | OzzieMoto radiator protector | the2wheels levers...
Track: Most of the above +: Doctor Glass fairings | Sato rearset | link pipe| Bazzaz ZFI-QS| Hell's servo eliminator | 520 chain -1, +1 ...
post #6 of 39 Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for that.

I guess I'll keep playing with my setup...

Just a quick reply too. The forks are supposed to be 11mm exposed from factory, according to the service manual, just had a look... Page 13-11. So Lumiera, hope that answers your question.

Last edited by Nutter34; 11-23-2012 at 08:49 PM.
post #7 of 39 Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I have never tried that. I will when I get back on a saddle.

15 Camaro Z/28
16 BMW M5
Former bikes: 07 R1/08 10R/10 S1000rr/11 10R
post #8 of 39 Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter34 View Post
Thanks for that.

I guess I'll keep playing with my setup...

Just a quick reply too. The forks are supposed to be 11mm exposed from factory, according to the service manual, just had a look... Page 13-11. So Lumiera, hope that answers your question.
The 11mm spec in the manual includes the cap which is 7mm. Hence exposing 11mm of fork tube raises them by 7mm from standard.

post #9 of 39 Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm so confused, I don't understand any of that... Is there somewhere reputable I can go to get this done well...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
post #10 of 39 Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This is what we mean...

The service manual gives the dimension from the top triple clamp to the top of the fork, as 11mm. As you can see, mine is on 10mm.

What Quantum is saying, is the fork cap is 6-7mm, so the fork leg needs to come out until it's at 11mm, meaning the fork top dimension will be 17-18mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forktop.jpg
Views:	1433
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	167309  

Last edited by Nutter34; 11-24-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in