GEN 4: New Track Bike Build - Looking for advice - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By evallarta1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Question GEN 4: New Track Bike Build - Looking for advice

Just as the title states, I'm turning my Gen 4 ZX10 into a track bike and looking for some suspension advice. I have another street bike so this bike will be track only. Currently as the bike sits, it's on 100% factory suspension and looking to change that. I've done a couple track days and typically within the top 10 of the intermediate class. Looking to upgrade my suspension so I can run at a faster pace.

I see a lot of people using Ohlins and some using Penske. I also see some people using an aftermarket rear link (Kyle, MSS, Attack) along with the rear shock, but I read that the valving needs to be changed and some people do/some people don't. Looking for advice from people who are track day regulars and/or racers. What do you guys think?

As for front forks, I most likely will re-valve and re-spring my factory forks. Traxxion Dynamics are local to me so I'll probably have them do it as I'm trying to spend majority of my budget on the rear.

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2017, 05:16 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm pretty happy with my Elka rear shock and stock forks, though i would like to upgrade to an ohlinx ttx rear shock sometime in the future and also upgrade the forks.

Depends on your budget, how you want to spend your money, and if you plan to race, what classes you want to race in.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-2017, 09:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Revalve both.... stock.
Start having fun, and then see the options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 04:29 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

My Gen IV has been track only almost since purchase and have it set up perfectly for me. The rear shock was replaced with a TTX and 0% Kyle link (I'm <160lbs), shock length is currently at 311mm (+2 over stock) and was not revalved. The bike comes off corners like a rocket but does have a tendency to spin when tire grip is diminishing. Front forks were replaced with Ohlins R&T at stock ride height and they are better but the difference was not as dramatic as the rear. Turn in on this bike is a bit slow but feel and stability are pretty high so I live with it. Overall I'm very happy with the set up and have set PB lap times at all the tracks I frequent. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
If you want a cheap quick fix you can pick up a 5th gen rear Showa shock. Theres one in the classifieds right now for only $100? You need different links to run them though. Message ukzx10r he makes conversion links and also ships them out with shims for a great price.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You'll get a thousand different answers. Here's what I tell people that ask for my advice when in a different area.

Anyone can buy and install suspension, that part is easy. TUNING suspension is the hard part. Instead of asking people on here, find a tuner that will be at YOUR track events. Contact them and ask them to put a package together within your budget and what they recommend. Now when your having trouble trackside you can go straight to them and get help.

There is nothing worse than when someone brings their bike to me asking for help and they have NO idea what's inside.
Rotem_46 likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #7 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

that is a very good advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in