1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Gen 4: Front end loosness/clunk?

Little back story on the bike.

2013 10r... Bought it from an idiot last fall. Didnt get to ride it cept the test ride until this spring. Over the winter I changed the clipons and did all the maintenance the previous owner didnt do. Got the bike out recently and the front end would rattle/clunk on bumps and was very bad when braking on other than a smooth surface. Immediately turned around and realized i had the clipons a tad high which kept the triple from completely seating. Did some adjustments and reset the upper triple and torqued the nut.

Long story short, the issue is still there. Double and triple checked to make sure the upper triple is correct and it is. A google search suggests its the steering head bearing, forks bottoming out internally.. etc

Ive checked for a loose bearing and seems fine... any ideas?

Thanks guys

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 10:24 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
How did you check the head bearings? That's usually what the issue is. You have to remove the upper triple and the lock collar. Then you need to get on the actual nut with a spanner wrench. There's no torque spec on it. It's a functional check to get rid of the clicking and making sure the steering isn't too tight.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I agree with Sky. Sounds like head bearings. I had a similar sound when coming to a stop but I also would get head shake over uneven surfaces, I took it to my local dealer had them check the bearings. Guy said they were so lose that after removing the jam nut he tightened them down by hand before torqueing them. My bike is a 2015 with only 1k and I knew they would need checked with a service. Point is that if the PO didn't have services or maintenance done then they def need checked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
How did you check the head bearings? That's usually what the issue is. You have to remove the upper triple and the lock collar. Then you need to get on the actual nut with a spanner wrench. There's no torque spec on it. It's a functional check to get rid of the clicking and making sure the steering isn't too tight.
No movement when bike is up and I'm pulling and pushing on the front wheel. I'm pretty familiar on what it feels like if it's loose. I suppose it's possible I'm just not getting the right angle and whatever to get the movement to show. I'll go ahead and dig of a spanner wrench and start playing. Really don't wanna do a bearing if I don't have to lol. Though I'm starting to feel like it's a pretty good possibility.

Thanks guys.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #5 of 14 Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Mine was making a sound like this. It was the steering damper. They slap around quite bad. All i did was remove center bolt and fit a thin rubber washer underneath. Now steering damper silent.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-22-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Figured I'd give ya an update...

All fixed, at least so far it is. Pulled the triple off and grabbed the ole spanner and tightened the nut up a tad.. assuming that it was either loose from the factory or it loosened up because the upper triple wasn't snug. Either way, it's all good. Thanks guys.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #7 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Reading this thread and although not directly this issue, any thoughts on this clicking? Thanks in advance!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsNfF-86osjYsTdobg8pp_Plczyi
post #8 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 01:16 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkendall View Post
Reading this thread and although not directly this issue, any thoughts on this clicking? Thanks in advance!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsNfF-86osjYsTdobg8pp_Plczyi
Rotor bolts hitting the front stand.
ukzx10r likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 03:21 PM
57x
Squid

Posting Frequency

It is always amazing to me to see a brand new bike not setup correctly. I have seen a few with loose headset bearings. I pulled the upper triple on my Gen5 when I brought it home to confirm, even though the dealer was a friend. All was good. The biggest issue with this now that all bikes come with roller bearings is, all it takes is a couple hard landings from a wheelie and you can dent the race or worse. If not too bad you get some stiffness moving the bars, worse is if the dent is just slightly off-center and you fight to keep a straight line. I just helped a friend put in new races because he didn't have the headset adjusted correctly. He is a hooligan, that only knows how to ride on the back wheel, so this will probably happen again.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-03-2016, 03:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Rotor bolts hitting the front stand.
Definatly that. Mine did it once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in