Gen 2 highway tire? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 2 highway tire?

Hey guys! Got a question and I searched and didn't find the exact answers I was looking for. I looked at my shinko drag radial today (came with my bike when I bought it) and my center section is wearing out pretty quick. Now I do a lot of roll racing from 40+ and I.ride the bike daily so I'm looking for.something that wont wear out so fast, gets good traction and can handle triple digit speeds regularly. The bike is stretched and lowered so I don't do the twisty thing. I read somewhere that a 200/50/17 or a 200/55/17 would for the bike. Is this true? My 180/55/17 rubs my chain guard a bit but I can get a New one or shim mine out some... anyways...

Will a 200 series fit my bike without issue?
will a 200 series benefit my style of riding?
If not what would be your recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a Pirelli Angels on mine. I am flat spotting them but they appear to be lasting. The first 600 or so miles have terrible wet traction. The first Angel pattern sucks. They wears out to a devil pattern that seems to work pretty well. The Angels replaced the Diablo Strata's which averaged around 7500miles so that is about what I am expecting.

I had Pilot Road 2's on before and they have a very "pointy" profile. They wear like granite. I have over 10K on mine. I didn't do that great of a job at checking the pressure and rode them for I long time on low pressure which probably wore them faster than normal. If you drag race I don't think this is the tire for you because of the profile shrinking the contact patch.

I don't know if the 200 fits. Were you having problems with tire spin launching from 40mph? If not then the wider tires are just adding rotating mass. They would help to get a larger contact patch when launching from a stand still but if you are doing rolling starts without issue I would save my money.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread

Last edited by sam_b03; 08-12-2012 at 06:51 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I did see the pirellis for sale somewhere recently and the tread pattern looks pretty cool too... how sticky are they?

My bike gets loose around 40 every noe and again but idk if its the type of road I'm on or what?attention Pay attention enough I guess... but getting loose while rolling on it can get hairy... but I don't know how much of this could be avoided by going from a 180 to a 190 series. I love my shinko but I hear a lot of mixed reviews about them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If youre racing, stick with Shinko...I know guys wit 200's, but they are circuit racers

Ask Barry (cookmaster30)what size he uses...I know he runs a shinko...fastest 10 around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #5 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Try new michelin Road 3's alot of good reviews and all my buddies are running them

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

06 ZX10R
AKA:NINA
post #6 of 6 Old 08-12-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

After lots of research i think im gonna go with the shinko Raven. Longest tread wear rating of the shinko radials and its still a drag radial! Now just to pick between the 180 190 or 200 series...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in