Gen 2 Fork Seals - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 2 Fork Seals

Well, my new toy apparently has leaky front fork seals, the right one dripped onto the tire in the last two weeks.

Saw a writeup on hear on how to change the seals.

In case I get the urge to change them, is there a seal kit, what kind of oil do I buy, and are the special tools available, or necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Seals are available from Kawasaki and the aftermarket. If you aren't in a hurry and don't mind spending a bit more, go for the Kawasaki seals. I've never had a problem with aftermarket seals and they are (or used to be-don't know anymore) consideraby cheaper. OEM always makes me feel a bit better though.

A fork seal driver will make life easier but isn't comepletely necessary.

Oil level and weight can be found in the service manual. They are available on this site somewhere.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and can follow directions, you can change fork seals out. It will take a while the first time while you're learning. Personal satisfaction and $ saved is nice plus you get to make sure everything is done right during reassembly.

Pulling the forks and taking them to the shop will save money in labor if you don't want to tackle the entire job yourself. The shop will thank you for not bringing an entire bike, too.

In my opinion, the best bet is to pull the forks and R&R them with a buddy or a wrench that is familiar with the process and doesn't mind teaching. Watch and learn on the first leg, then do it yourself on the 2nd with a competent set of eyes looking over your shoulder.

If you go for it yourself and have any trouble there are a lot of people on .net that are happy to help out. I've noticed a lot of that around here.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Like Sasquatch said, do yourself a favor and use oem seals. I wouldn't even bother with a stealership, they will have to order them. Call Race Tech and get seals through them. They buy NOK seals (oem) in bulk and slap the Race Tech name on them so they have them in stock and will ship same day!

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I went aftermarket once on my gen 2. Lasted half a track day. Oem all the way, and if you have the time, definitely do it yourself. You will never be as complacent as a mechanic on your bike. I'm one 'oops' away from firing my mechanic and mastering my own machine. Just wish I had more free time...
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastViking View Post
I went aftermarket once on my gen 2. Lasted half a track day. Oem all the way, and if you have the time, definitely do it yourself.
on that!!! I put some All balls seals in mine and one blew out after one day of riding on a closed road course. You can buy some flat stock and bend it in a vice, drill some holes, and make your own fork spring compressor. I can post up a pic. with the dimensions if you want. It is a little crude and a bit of a pain to use by yourself but I was able to do it. If you have someone there to do the compressing then its a piece of cake.
If you plan to pull out the guts and clean it all up (trxxion recommends starting fluid which works well) you will need a good shop manual and take pics as you remove it all to make sure you get it all back together right. You could just buy a set of cartridges and spring it for your weight while your at it.

2000 WR400 SM, 2004 KTM 300EXC, 2005 1800 Wing, 2006 ZX10R, 2017 ZX10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in