Gen 2 2006 fork stiction - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to abadassbikerlad
Gen 2 2006 fork stiction

Hi I have a 2006 zx10r it's got the traxxion dynamics kit installed but I have massive stiction this fork is nothing like the traxxion zx9r forks I have on my other bike.
Any ideas on a cure for this ?
Thanks Jason

2013 black uk spec gen 4, full akrapovic evo carbon, brembo rcs master cylinder, brembo clutch, ohlins race SCU, woolichracing flashed ecu with stock 02 disabled, ohlins mechatronic rear shock, Suoer corsa Sc2 200 rear smoked hot bodies rear end, Puig screen, s-2 concepts seat hump,Hell hoses, brembo m4 monoblocks samco sport red hoses, samco clamps, evotech oil cap, MWR filter, Putoline syntec 4, Jmt lion battery, nearly all bolts are titanium. 55w 6000k 2.5" Hid projectors.
190.26 hp Din
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

How are you determining stiction? Are the forks on or off the bike? Without more info below are usually the main culprits of stiction (no particular order).

Bent forks
Bent axle
Misaligned triples
Bent triples
Misaligned mounted forks
Overtightened Triple clamping bolts

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #3 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I can remove most of the above possible symptoms I have owned the bike all it's life it's not been ridden up a kerb or crashed, I have fork leg in my hand pumping it down on the floor, each leg sticks a stupid amount put both on the bike and it's nasty.
I have a zx9r with same conversion only it's old style fork feels awesome.

2013 black uk spec gen 4, full akrapovic evo carbon, brembo rcs master cylinder, brembo clutch, ohlins race SCU, woolichracing flashed ecu with stock 02 disabled, ohlins mechatronic rear shock, Suoer corsa Sc2 200 rear smoked hot bodies rear end, Puig screen, s-2 concepts seat hump,Hell hoses, brembo m4 monoblocks samco sport red hoses, samco clamps, evotech oil cap, MWR filter, Putoline syntec 4, Jmt lion battery, nearly all bolts are titanium. 55w 6000k 2.5" Hid projectors.
190.26 hp Din
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

When you say sticks, I'm assuming you mean you compress the fork, let it go, and then it stops?

Next question is where are you rebound and compression settings at?

Velocity Calibrations
post #5 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Even with it wound off all the way, bounce up and down and it's sticky, with the forks on the bike It can be pulled up and pushed down and settle at lots of different heights ie push it down it sits down lift it up it stays up, my other forks on the zx9r are plush nice and easy to move them and they return to the same height each time.

190.26 hp Din
post #6 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you've got some internal binding issues, that's not normal. If you just got it back from Traxxion I would contact them. Otherwise it might be best to find a local suspension shop.

Velocity Calibrations
post #7 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If the fork is doing it off the bike with rebound all the way off, something has to be wrong inside. If they're old, I would say it's possible that there is so much sludge, that the rebound circuit is clogged with gunk. If new, something wasn't put back together properly. If someone did the work for you, then you'll need to talk to them. If you did the work, then you'll need to disassemble and go through the assembly steps again to make sure everything is in the proper way and adjusted properly, such as the jam-nut location for the fork-cap...if that is adjustable on your year bike.

If it only did it on the bike, my 2006 had a problem where the wheels spacers were just a tiny bit too small so when you tightened the axle nut, the forks were pulled slightly inwards which caused a surprised amount of sticking. I fixed that with some small spacer washers between the forks and the wheel spacers so that the forks were not pulled in when the axle is tightened.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
post #8 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It's been like this for 55 thousand miles just did fork seal and oil change to lighter weight oil 5w still have sticky forks even with fork apart and it running just though the oil seal and bush in the bottom the fork inner is still sticky,
Maybe it's the nature of this kayaba fork it has small bush pressed in below the oil seal have two wider ones on the old zx9r leg.

190.26 hp Din
post #9 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It's shows worse on the bike as there's two forks worth of stiction and the weight of the bike, the thing is my zx9r is so sorted every new bike feels wooden with these forks on even the the new BPF I rode on 2012 gsxr1000 felt awful. Lots worse than I have on my zx10r.
I am hunting the plushness of my traxxion zx9r maybe I never find it.

190.26 hp Din
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadassbikerlad View Post
It's been like this for 55 thousand miles just did fork seal
This may be caused by improper seating of the seals. Did you use a tool for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in