Gen 1 Outer Fork Bushings Situation - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 1 Outer Fork Bushings Situation

Well I've recently talked to the local suspension shop where they have informed me that my forks have an extreme amount of stiction. One bad scenario is my outer bushings are worn and need to be replaced. If you are aware of the setup with these forks, you know that the outer bushings is not designed to come out of the fork tube. I'm curious if anyone has had any luck removing the outer bushing and if not, did you find a different way to handle this problem that didn't involve replacing the fork tubes? Looking forward to reading your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2015, 07:33 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

You talking about the guide bushing in the top tube?
I looked in the parts manual and this part isn't listed.
On my 08 1125r when i rebuilt the forks i heated the top tube with a heat gun and slammed the tube on wood a couple times and the guide bushing came out. Teflon coated and they wore out also so while I was in there I replaced it. But this was an item you could buy when I bought the rebuild kit from Al at American Sport bike.
I have a set of forks with less than 10k miles I could sell ya for parts only.
Jake likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah the guide bushing. The people at the suspension shop said there's a possibility they may be able to get them out but there's a strong possibility they'll destroy the fork tubes doing it.

As far as buying used forks, I'd rather go with something with new bushings, assuming I have to go that route. Thanks for the offer though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

They come out easily. If they can't do that then I would take them somewhere else. You won't damage the tubes by heating them and slamming them against a piece of wood. Teflon is tough and 10k is low mile. I am not trying to get you to buy low mile tubes. I am just stating that the effort on their behalf seems a little weak and bs in stating that they will likely destroy them. Being a good mechanic requires skill and a little ingenuity. Buy new tubes if you must but you are wasting your money. The option is there and they are just wasting space in my shop. Good luck.
Jake likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-10-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteson View Post
They come out easily. If they can't do that then I would take them somewhere else. You won't damage the tubes by heating them and slamming them against a piece of wood. Teflon is tough and 10k is low mile. I am not trying to get you to buy low mile tubes. I am just stating that the effort on their behalf seems a little weak and bs in stating that they will likely destroy them. Being a good mechanic requires skill and a little ingenuity. Buy new tubes if you must but you are wasting your money. The option is there and they are just wasting space in my shop. Good luck.
The shop didn't say that they would for sure destroy the tubes. They said there is that possibility because they did not know for sure if they could remove the bushings or not without tearing the forks down first. Your post gives me hope that they should be able to.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The issue with the gen1 forks are the overly thin bushing area they were designed with - to reduce drag they said - unless there is any real wear that is. We have been putting on Gen 2 forks to get around this problem (we only have few fully rebuilt gen2 forks left). Take a look at the attached image and you'll see of what I speak. You would have to raise the gen2 forks 10mm higher in the triples to keep the same geometry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 vs 06 forks.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	322985  
Jake likes this.

LAKO Performance Group
www.lako.com
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I am tempted to take apart my old tubes and make a video of me heating the tube with my heat gun and then slapping them on the bench and watching that bushing just fall out.
Jake likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoginator View Post
The issue with the gen1 forks are the overly thin bushing area they were designed with - to reduce drag they said - unless there is any real wear that is. We have been putting on Gen 2 forks to get around this problem (we only have few fully rebuilt gen2 forks left). Take a look at the attached image and you'll see of what I speak. You would have to raise the gen2 forks 10mm higher in the triples to keep the same geometry.
Are the outer bushings on the gen 2 forks designed to be removable? Also have you noticed the outer bushings being worn out and if so any idea at what mileage roughly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteson View Post
I am tempted to take apart my old tubes and make a video of me heating the tube with my heat gun and then slapping them on the bench and watching that bushing just fall out.
I'd watch
post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Jake, are talking about the fork seals? If that's the case and i assume it is, yes the fork seals come out. Notice the retention clip in the pic above posted. If the seals weren't designed to come out, that clip wouldn't be there. I rebuilt my forks 2 winters ago including new springs, all balls fork seals complete with dust covers or wipers which ever you prefer to call them with no problems what so ever. Even made my own seal drivers with a piece of PCV pipe cut in half then 2 more relief cuts in each seperate half. Cost my less than $4 to make and they worked like a charm. If the shop you took your bike to is telling you that they don't know if they are supposed to come out, i wouldn't take my bike there anymore if i were you. Any mechanic worth half his salt can get them out.... without wrecking the fork tubes.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somatic Healer View Post
Jake, are talking about the fork seals? If that's the case and i assume it is, yes the fork seals come out. Notice the retention clip in the pic above posted. If the seals weren't designed to come out, that clip wouldn't be there. I rebuilt my forks 2 winters ago including new springs, all balls fork seals complete with dust covers or wipers which ever you prefer to call them with no problems what so ever. Even made my own seal drivers with a piece of PCV pipe cut in half then 2 more relief cuts in each seperate half. Cost my less than $4 to make and they worked like a charm. If the shop you took your bike to is telling you that they don't know if they are supposed to come out, i wouldn't take my bike there anymore if i were you. Any mechanic worth half his salt can get them out.... without wrecking the fork tubes.
No man, not the fork seals. I'm talking about the outer bushing that is inside the fork tube that the lower fork leg slides in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in