Gen 1 Bent frame handling info - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 1 Bent frame handling info

Hey,

As well known the Gen1 frames are nutoriously known for cracking frames, so not knowingly (back in the day, didn't have much knowledge) bought a bit of a lemon with welded frame and recently found new cracks on the other side.

Facts : The frame is cracked and will need welding, it's also slightly bent and pulls to one side.

My question is: Is there any tricks to even out the handling a bit? Unfortunately there will be no way to straighten it here where i live so i'm left with what i have.

On a side note, the turn in is crazy slow on the bike even with pirelli 55 wall tires (diablo supercorsa bsb). If id slip forks a bit lower trough yokes, that should speed up the turn in right? (aahh ofc, the bike has GSxr 1000 forks).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2016, 07:55 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Frankly, riding around with a bent frame is dangerous. The handling can and will be unpredictable and can be prone to more bending. Welding it multiple times over and over can weaken it even further. Unless you put it on a jig to hold it solid straighten it out before welding, then you have no basis for knowing how it will perform in the end. If you can't get it professionally aligned where you're at, then you should be SERIOUSLY considering a new frame to replace it. I would not ride a bike with a bent frame. No bueno.

Turn-in is a compromise between stable and unstable conditions. If a bike a bike is stable, it wants to resist direction changes. Likewise, a quick handling bike is usually twitchy and not stable and wants to change directions on it's own. It's a fine line to try and find the point in between these two things that gets you decent stability and quick handling.

Since you already have taller tires on the rear is increasing the rake and quickening the turn-in. Dropping the forks more will have the same affect. Go too far and you'll have an unstable bike that will headshake and tank-slap. I believe your problems with turn-in are related to your bent frame. Farting around with the geometry of the suspension to try and make up for a frame that isn't lined up is not going to do anything for you. It's dangerous.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 3 Old 06-26-2016, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey, thanx for the reply!

I do agree to you that it's dangerous, but the options round here are slim. Ive done track days and done bout 15k km, it doesnt do much unpredictable stuff and its not crazy out of the line. See unfortunately options are slim: New fram = insane $$$$, used good = cant find, Gen1 frames are very well know for braking so all of them are already broken. Scrapyard or so - no such places here. Ebay - everythings already broken. Jig and pro alining and welding - not available here. So unfortunately it is what it is. I know, pretty sad.

Have you heard anything bout Gen1 frame replaced with Gen2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Frankly, riding around with a bent frame is dangerous. The handling can and will be unpredictable and can be prone to more bending. Welding it multiple times over and over can weaken it even further. Unless you put it on a jig to hold it solid straighten it out before welding, then you have no basis for knowing how it will perform in the end. If you can't get it professionally aligned where you're at, then you should be SERIOUSLY considering a new frame to replace it. I would not ride a bike with a bent frame. No bueno.

Turn-in is a compromise between stable and unstable conditions. If a bike a bike is stable, it wants to resist direction changes. Likewise, a quick handling bike is usually twitchy and not stable and wants to change directions on it's own. It's a fine line to try and find the point in between these two things that gets you decent stability and quick handling.

Since you already have taller tires on the rear is increasing the rake and quickening the turn-in. Dropping the forks more will have the same affect. Go too far and you'll have an unstable bike that will headshake and tank-slap. I believe your problems with turn-in are related to your bent frame. Farting around with the geometry of the suspension to try and make up for a frame that isn't lined up is not going to do anything for you. It's dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in