Fork springs - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Fork springs

Has anyone just fitted softer springs without revalving, does it improve things or just a waste of time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sorry Admin I should have posted this in suspension section could you move it please
post #3 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Are you really that light that you need softer springs in the front? What's your goal with the suspension?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I no longer race and doubt I'll do anymore track days, I do ride quick and enjoy pushing it when road and conditions allow so I'm after a fast road setup not track, where you tend not to find bums/ruts/over banding and pot holes not to mention just poor surfaces.

At 85kg I'm not light or heavy Mr average I'd say, I've got quite a bit of experience setting up bikes so I like to think I know what I'm doing and it didn't take me long to realise that the front is all wrong. Way too stiff, very over damped, a very small adjustment range for compression that ranges from stiff to stiffer, rebound is ok but can't really be set as the mismatch of damping/spring is too much.

I've now got preload fully soft, damping 17 clicks out (even though the manual states usable range is 0 - 13), rebound 5 clicks out, its better but not right still kicking off small bumps and not inspiring confidence when pushed but there's no more adjustment left. So I'm thinking perhaps the way forward is to change the front springs standard they are 1.0N or that as far as I've managed to find out, 0.95N would suit me better hence the question.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
I no longer race and doubt I'll do anymore track days, I do ride quick and enjoy pushing it when road and conditions allow so I'm after a fast road setup not track, where you tend not to find bums/ruts/over banding and pot holes not to mention just poor surfaces.

At 85kg I'm not light or heavy Mr average I'd say, I've got quite a bit of experience setting up bikes so I like to think I know what I'm doing and it didn't take me long to realise that the front is all wrong. Way too stiff, very over damped, a very small adjustment range for compression that ranges from stiff to stiffer, rebound is ok but can't really be set as the mismatch of damping/spring is too much.

I've now got preload fully soft, damping 17 clicks out (even though the manual states usable range is 0 - 13), rebound 5 clicks out, its better but not right still kicking off small bumps and not inspiring confidence when pushed but there's no more adjustment left. So I'm thinking perhaps the way forward is to change the front springs standard they are 1.0N or that as far as I've managed to find out, 0.95N would suit me better hence the question.
Ummmm....yeah. Gotcha on that. The initial post didn't mention any of that.

Most people around here find the spring rate pretty decent as they are much heavier than the rear spring is setup. Not sure why Kawi springs the front so heavy and leaves the rear so soft, but that's the way it is.

If you've already determined that the 1.0kg stock springs don't meet your needs, I'd venture a guess that you'll need to revalve it as well. The lighter spring rate will allow the forks to move easier, but the same amount of fluid will be moving through the orifices in the cartridge. The fluid movement (restriction) is what will determine the overall rate at which the forks work. If you're ultimately looking for a softer, more compliant ride, I'd be looking to get the new springs with matching valves. Springs alone won't change much unless you can control the fluid rates better than OEM.

But I'm not an expert in real life. I just play one on the internet.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yes I take your points and your correct. What isn't easy to judge with compression damping is at what point the spring is controlling things and overriding the damping, unlike rebound where you can physically see the return speed change as you adjust.

What I'm thinking is that the spring could well be stopping the damping working once beyond a certain point, if it is then a softer spring will allow it to work and would also help with the stiffness hopefully to a point were it will suit me.

So was wondering if someone had already tried this route.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

My initial thought, for g4, is that the fork setting is somewhat on the soft side. Next thought is that you're running like 50 pounds in the front tire. And my final is that you have a death grip on the grips.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yes I take your points and your correct. What isn't easy to judge with compression damping is at what point the spring is controlling things and overriding the damping, unlike rebound where you can physically see the return speed change as you adjust.

What I'm thinking is that the spring could well be stopping the damping working once beyond a certain point, if it is then a softer spring will allow it to work and would also help with the stiffness hopefully to a point were it will suit me.

So was wondering if someone had already tried this route.
I just installed .95 springs from racetech... I had them and I needed new fork seals, so what the hell...had them installed. I weigh 170 lbs

I'm an agressive street rider... Improvement was there but by a small amount. (I was not to unhappy with oem springs either) I have 5 1/4 lines showing on the tripple and rebound and dampening 3 clicks up from full soft. I also have front sag at 35mm rear same 35mm

Bike is smoother over bumps for sure and leaned over I can hit ripples and still feel confident...

The bike has never felt this good!

I LOVE THE SET UP!!!!

I can ride as fast as I dare... I 100% confidence in the bike and tires...

Just rode with a my buddy who has an 04 636 and he said I was ripping the corners...

Now if I can just find a place to do my annual 189 run to make sure everything is good we can move on with the ridding season

179 is my best for the season so far...
post #9 of 18 Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Vr6 thanks for this this is confirming the issue is in the damping and not so much the springs, its looking more and more a revalve is the only answer.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Vr6 thanks for this this is confirming the issue is in the damping and not so much the springs, its looking more and more a revalve is the only answer.
No problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in