Fork alignment-twisted fork or tweaked bars - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-03-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Fork alignment-twisted fork or tweaked bars

Hey Guys-
have a bit of ocd kicking in on the steering of my gen 2.

my wife recently went to move the bike out of the way to park and she didn't have the kick stand down!! it tipped and luckily it hit the left handlebar at a 45 degree angle against the garage wall and not a full knock to the ground. But when it fell, it caught the left handlebar end and caused the bike to turn hard right

Anyway, when i have the bars square in my hands, the front tire is about (i'll use measurements rather than degrees)a 1/4" pointed to the right. no biggy as it tracks straight. For kicks i loosend the axle, pinch, and lower triples to do the "bouncing" method to see if it all realigned. Tighted all back up and still points to the right?

Possible the handlebar itself got tweaked when it caught?

i read on a thread that the fork tube could possible have twisted in the triple clamp. Does this mean that (sounding stupid here) the fork tube actually twisted within the triple clamp, or that the fork twisted the triple clamp itself? I beleive it is not the latter explination.

if i loosend all, say the left side from the pinch bolts to the upper triple clamps and twist within the clamps, does this have an effect on which way the wheel points?

sorry for the length, like i said OCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
More than likely the clip on is bent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 23 Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
More than likely the clip on is bent.

Or the clip on got banged over a bit on the fork.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

update

i ordered a new oem left bar, so hopefully that will do it. Both forks were aligned correctly, the axle bold slid in and out easily so i measured the bar ends to a fixed point and sure enough, they were off about 1/4" too much work to take both bars off and compare one to the other. When the new bar comes in, i'll compare then.

Also, just for kicks, i measured the rear wheel alignment and i was in the same boat as many others: the tick marks aren't exact. Wheel was pointed to the left, which may also have contributed to the compensation of steering to the right.....
post #5 of 23 Old 06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I can't image my wife trying to move my bike. The two simply don't connect. She would drive into it, though. That I'm sure. I think I would've loosened the left clip and tightened then checked. Hope the new one works.
post #6 of 23 Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Scout, my thoughts exactly on her moving it, but what do i do....anyway, i loosed, and retightened, the alignment screw underneath that mounts to the triple prevents adjusting, if i don't use that screw i can adjust it into a good position, but again this points to a tweaked bar, again can't be 100% until the bar comes in....thanks tho
post #7 of 23 Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I can't image my wife trying to move my bike. The two simply don't connect. She would drive into it, though. That I'm sure. I think I would've loosened the left clip and tightened then checked. Hope the new one works.
Yeah mine wont come within a three foot radius of mine for fear of her life.

post #8 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ok guys
i got the new left bar in and installed it, i wish it had worked but still the same, looks cleaner if that helps haha

i was searching and found this old thread that seems to be the answer to my prayers but the pix expired or something!!!

https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78039

i sort of get the concept but how (trying to imagine) by loosening the clamps/ botls etc do i twist the forks in the tubes? am i right by thinking that i grab ahold of the gold fork tube and literally twist it within the triple clamp? by doing so will that alter the position of the direction the front wheel points?

looking at my bike from the top, i can see the top edge of the left side of the tree if you will, sits higher than the top right side of the triple trees. So that would tell me by somehow bringing the left side down/ back...that would align my wheel. Just not getting how twisting the fork tube accomplishes this?

i wish these pics would populate so i can see

any help??
post #9 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
If you still have the issue, the top triple is likely twisted a bit compared to the bottom triple as you mention. Loosen all the clamping bolts around the top triple. Then stand in front of the bike with the front wheel tight between your legs. Pull the bars hard in the direction they need to go to straighten them out, check the alignment, tweak more as needed, and then tighten up everything.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 10:43 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If you have a stem lift, I will keep the triple clamps just tight enough that you can relax the forks. Verify the fork height, clamp them to spec.

W.F.O.ing with style will bring life back into focus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in