effects of a blown fork seal? high speed vibrate? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

effects of a blown fork seal? high speed vibrate?

Okay so I have a leaking fork seal and I'm waiting for new ones to come in so I can put them in but I was wondering what the side effects of that may be? I was racing last night and as soon as I hit 110+ I had a weird vibration in the front end and I was wondering if that could be caused by the leaky seal...? If not, what else could it be that's causing the vibe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The vibes certainly could be caused by that, but also loose head bearings or brakes. Depending on how much fluid we've lost out of the fork leg, you can have an undamped leg or uneven damping. That will cause some strange handling of the bike.

In addition, oil can get onto the brake disk and pads and cause serious issues there. Oil on the break pads normally requires replacement of those as they can't be cleaned. Worse case would be oil onto the ground in a left hand turn causing the rear tire to slide. Please do not ride the bike any longer until you get it fixed. If you have to ride it to the shop, go slow.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Its not LEAKING... its wet from the seals going out but they aren't shot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

so wet isn't leaking? Take it as you want. It seems hearing its unsafe is NOT what you want to hear, but that doesn't change that fact that it isn't safe. Do as you choose, but really you should SLOW down until you can get it properly repaired.

ZX14 cam chain tensioner making noise? I have the set it and forget it fix. PM me if I can help.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i really doubt its your seals causing the vibration. your wheel is unbalanced. and yes, just because it was balanced when installed does not guarantee it remain balanced for the life of it. rebalance that wheel.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Rebalance will happen just as soon as i get my new seals installed. Thanks for your input.

The seals are obviously leaking but its not at the point where im super concerned with it. on a scale of one to ten i'd say the leak is at a one or two... I appreciate your concern and i realize the risks but thats not what i want to discuss in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in