Dunlop USA Made NTEC Slicks - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Dunlop USA Made NTEC Slicks

I just picked up some USA made NTEC Slicks after hearing some good reviews. I will be running them in 2 weeks, so will give some feedback as to how they did. I have run Q2's, GPA209's, and Pirellis Superbike Pro slicks, so will try to give some comparisons of how they all performed for me.

Anyone else have any feedback on the NTECs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaxdlere View Post
I just picked up some USA made NTEC Slicks after hearing some good reviews. I will be running them in 2 weeks, so will give some feedback as to how they did. I have run Q2's, GPA209's, and Pirellis Superbike Pro slicks, so will try to give some comparisons of how they all performed for me.

Personally I'm not a fan, they feel a bit wooden and give little feedback IMO compared to the top end Pirelli slick. Probably due to the Dunlop NTEC hard carcuss design, which is also the reason they run like 20psi in the rear to. Don't get me wrong they are still great hoops I just think there are nicer tyres available.

What made you switch to Dunlop?

You where running the Pirelli Pro Slick which was made as a long lasting trackday slick and which is not there top end race tyre.

You should try the Pirelli Diablo Superbike tyre, which is the top end slick and leagues ahead of the Pirelli Pro IMO.

Dunlop also makes the NTEC out of the UK which is the one I would pick over the US made NTEC tyres, but they are pricey!

Let us know what you think.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I got a great price on them and since I am trying to complete 10 more races, cost definitely is a factor. I would love the UK made ones, but can't swing that.
Perhaps towards the end of the season I will give the Pirelli's a try.
I didn't mind the Superbike Pro. They lasted longer than I ever could have even imagined, they were just a bit difficult to turn in, at least for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I can't compare the N-TECs to the Pirelli. But I can say that I switched from the Continental Race tires to the N-TEC and dropped 4 sec.

I find the Dunlops to preform excellent. The more I push the faster they go without slipping.

FYI Dunlop runs per the Dunlop Rep:
31 Cold 33 Hot Front
21 Cold 23 Hot Rear

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti

LRRS/CCS/ASRA
2012 AM GTU & MWSB Champion
EX 411

2013 Sponsors
JAF Motors
Amsoil
Dunlop
EBC Brakes
HotBodies
Vortex
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendin87 View Post
I can say that I switched from the Continental Race tires to the N-TEC and dropped 4 sec.
4 seconds! WOW!

Was this a back to back, like no other changes but tyres and at a track you know well?

Or did you change brands then after 5 more track days and more experience/confidence your times came down?
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

trackday and 1 race on the US NTEC slicks and I have to say I am extremely impressed. I noticed the front was a different size (120/80 as opposed to 120/70). Temperatures at the track were around 105. These tires felt easier to turn in than the DUnlop Q2's and significantly easier to tip in than the Pirelli Superbike Pro's. I tend to drive out of a corner very hard and these tires stuck great. It felt like no matter how much I had to give, they were ready for more. Now granted, I am still recovering from a broken tibia, ankle, wrist and thumb, so not nearly riding at 100% yet, but I will be sticking with these for a while. They wore suprisingly well considering the temperatures. I did notice they seemed more sensitive to pressure changes than any tire I have run previously.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaxdlere View Post

Awesome track tires!! I have run both the UK and USA NTEC slicks.

Currently, I run the UK NTEC Front (Medium) and US NTEC (200/55) Rear (Medium +)

For me, this has proven to be the best combination for maximum # of track days per set(s)....

2k11 ZX10R
2k6 GSX 1300R
2k4 CBR1000RR
2k1 GSX 1300R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in