dunlop q3 overheating? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-27-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

dunlop q3 overheating?

I am running q3 on the zx10r and yesterday i pull out the bike out of the garage and saw my rear all blueish on the side, i had this only 1-2 time in the past with the zx6r but this time its a lot worse.

From what i read its after a big heat cycle and oil is coming at the surface,is the tire really overheated or its normal ?

Is it still ok for doing a trackday?

this was done on the street with 32 front 34 rear hot, about 300 miles of twisties and outside temp was about 75*

what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Your tires are fine and that bluing is more typical of a track tire after sitting from the heat cycles. It will wear off within a few miles and be right back to normal. From my experience though, if you let it sit for a few weeks and allow the bluing to settle then the tire will be very slick for a while before it returns to normal dependent on how much rubber you have left.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

The tire has about 1500 miles on it, it has sit 4-5 days like this in the garage and i rode the same run yesterday and the tire was feeling normal and the blue was gone now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
Just curious on why you are running more pressure in the rear?

2015 ZX10R - Archer flash+goodies - Arrow - TechSpec lock kit tank pad - Spiegler lines
CL Pads - 520 kit - LSL sliders & rearset - Yoshi case guards - custom seats - Gyrocam GoPro 4 Silver
post #5 of 31 Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Your pressure's are to high especially in the rear. If you use tire warmer's at the track dunlop says 30f 28R hot off the warmers. If I don't use warmers at the track I run 30 front and rear and then check my pressures after the second session as the pressure rises. The dunlops are very pressure sensitive. I started spinning up my rear tire last track day in the third session and found that the rear pressure had risen to 34 I set it back to 30 and no more spinning up the tire on corner exit.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Tons of life left in that one for sure. And just to mirror what Techx said I start at 28f 27r cold on my GSXR 750 at the track and go from there. I dont use warmers either.

post #7 of 31 Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo View Post
Just curious on why you are running more pressure in the rear?
Maybe you guys can help clear something up here for me. As far as I know, I have always run more pressure in the rear per the manual and what many other people have said and done as I was learning to ride over the years but mostly per the manual. Are you guys running more pressure in the front than the rear?? Whats the different effect? I have never tried running more psi in the front, my front is always lower.
And TechX, you think 34 is high for street? I usually wont go lower than around 30 but then again I only ride street.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
post #8 of 31 Old 05-28-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Guys this was 100% STREET riding, i tough my pressure was on the lower side for the street, but this is agressive riding for sure!

When i commute i usually run 34 front and 36-38 rear HOT , when i hit the twisties i lower to 32 front-34 rear HOT and the bike really feel planted to the ground, i never experienced any slippage feel but the tc do kick in a lot but its all fine in term of feeling.

i was just concerned about the blueish, so for the street do you still suggest to lower my rear a little like 32 front-32 rear hot ?

thanks !

Last edited by Hups10r; 05-28-2015 at 12:15 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 PM
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

I run 32f and 32b due to a very nice Cali. weather but I'll go to 30f and 30b when the weather hits 90 degree and up.... we average 105 in the summer time and can go as high as 115 degree.. Don't worry about the blue tint... that's just means you ran a good/hard consistence pace.

Never forget who helped you!
Never forgive who fu*ked you.
Doing a trackday is like "SEX", no matter what happens you'll want to hit it again..
post #10 of 31 Old 05-28-2015, 05:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hups10r View Post
Guys this was 100% STREET riding, i tough my pressure was on the lower side for the street, but this is agressive riding for sure!

When i commute i usually run 34 front and 36-38 rear HOT , when i hit the twisties i lower to 32 front-34 rear HOT and the bike really feel planted to the ground, i never experienced any slippage feel but the tc do kick in a lot but its all fine in term of feeling.

i was just concerned about the blueish, so for the street do you still suggest to lower my rear a little like 32 front-32 rear hot ?

thanks !
For street use 32f 32r are good pressures and will work fine. 34 f and 36-38 pressures are if you have a passenger for solo riding their to high. Track day will generate more heat in the tire therefore causing the pressure to rise more than on a street ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in