Daytona Tires - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Daytona Tires

OK, lets talk tires. I'm going to Daytona and need tires. Do I get the Daytona spec tires, or do I stick with the ones I already have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Too vague
what class do you run in?
what tires do you have now
post #3 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Get the Daytona spec tires for safety sake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm running in the middleweight SS and SBK. I'm running the Power One's now but Michelin just change their tire, and Dunlop only has a 190 or 200 available. I'm trying to stay away from setup changes...
post #5 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to GregGorman Send a message via Skype™ to GregGorman
Check with your Michelin vendor.

Horror story:
I almost crashed in turn 1 at Daytona because the bike just wouldn't turn. I thought it was me. Accelerating to the Horseshoe the bike felt fine. As I turned into the Horseshoe, something was way wrong. Before I could stand the bike up and run straight, I crashed from a flat front tire in the International Horseshoe.

It was a normal medium compound Dunlop slick. The tire looked fine and had no punctures. Dunlop looked over the tire for two hours and finally figured out why - the plys had come apart from the heat and allowed the air to escape. I had used it for 5 practice sessions with no problems.

That tire had been flat all the around the banking at 170+mph. Only centripetal force was keeping it expanded.

Daytona is a different beast. You are full throttle for 1 minute+ each lap. Don't screw around with advice on tires there. Get real answers directly from the tire vendors.

Greg Gorman
'08 ZX-10R Race
'08 Triumph Sprint ST street
On board videos
post #6 of 13 Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGorman View Post

Horror story:
I almost crashed in turn 1 at Daytona because the bike just wouldn't turn. I thought it was me. Accelerating to the Horseshoe the bike felt fine. As I turned into the Horseshoe, something was way wrong. Before I could stand the bike up and run straight, I crashed from a flat front tire in the International Horseshoe.

It was a normal medium compound Dunlop slick. The tire looked fine and had no punctures. Dunlop looked over the tire for two hours and finally figured out why - the plys had come apart from the heat and allowed the air to escape. I had used it for 5 practice sessions with no problems.

That tire had been flat all the around the banking at 170+mph. Only centripetal force was keeping it expanded.

Daytona is a different beast. You are full throttle for 1 minute+ each lap. Don't screw around with advice on tires there. Get real answers directly from the tire vendors.
DAMN!
That must have been scary.
I would talk to the tire guy at the track too, i know i guy who went through one rear with 1 lap at Daytona.

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #7 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGorman View Post

Horror story:

I would listen to this guy. He clearly has survived this beast of a track, but for safety concerns would'nt they change the layout? This track is the topic of conversation every year when it comes to tires. I'd say don't risk it and get the "Daytona" tires. It would not be a good time sliding down the track at 180 mph.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Agreed, speak with the tire vendor there. If you are going with Dunlop tires, the Daytona tires are DEFINITELY the tire to get for that track. For other vendors, you'll probably want to try one of their endurance (Hard compound) tires, but they'll have the best advice. Make sure you get tire pressure recommendations from the vendor there as well, the Daytona tires require a higher pressure. You can control some of the heat with the tire pressure.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I am a Michelin Tire dealer
post #10 of 13 Old 09-05-2012, 01:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I use the Gp211's N-Tec at Daytona. See ya there in October.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in