Custom valving for 2016 and newer - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Custom valving for 2016 and newer

Is anyone aware of someone who does custom valving for the BFFF and BFRC rear for these bikes? I can't seem to find anything.

It seems odd to me that these bikes come with some pretty interesting suspension technology yet it seems most people dump it for aftermarket when racing. I understand that real race budgets allow lots of high end stuff. For club racing though, it seems like an unnecessary extravagance.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 12:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

+1 for that question from me as well. I'm running a Gen 5 rear suspension and looked for off the shelf upgrades too. There don't seem to be any valve kits etc. for the BFRC Lite shock.

I'll upgrade to Ohlins eventually but it'd be nice to have cheaper options for non-racers.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 01:23 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

It does not matter one bit what fancy moniker that put on any OEM Factory suspension product on a production bike and I am less than impressed with most SHOWA OEM stuff. It is still a budget based low end suspension designed around the cheapest possible price point with the only real purpose is to safely haul around 2 people on a motorcycle on public roads. That is all it really has to do and all it is really designed to do for liability reasons. Sure they may throw some technology at it, but ultimately it comes down to how they can build it cheaper, not better. The reason you keep seeing new tech being employed is because it is cheaper to reduce parts like putting 2 valves into a fork instead of 4 or using one fork leg for a spring and the other for the valve etc. Fewer parts, less cost.

Past that I have said it a million times. It does not matter if you are a new rider with your first streetbike or a pro racer vying for the lap record. Better suspension is a benefit to EVERYONE. There is not a single rider anywhere that does not benefit from a suspension that is more compliant and correctly alters the geometry of the bike to aid the rider in getting into and out of the turns which is exactly what properly set-up aftermarket suspension does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
It does not matter one bit what fancy moniker that put on any OEM Factory suspension product on a production bike and I am less than impressed with most SHOWA OEM stuff. It is still a budget based low end suspension designed around the cheapest possible price point with the only real purpose is to safely haul around 2 people on a motorcycle on public roads. That is all it really has to do and all it is really designed to do for liability reasons. Sure they may throw some technology at it, but ultimately it comes down to how they can build it cheaper, not better. The reason you keep seeing new tech being employed is because it is cheaper to reduce parts like putting 2 valves into a fork instead of 4 or using one fork leg for a spring and the other for the valve etc. Fewer parts, less cost.

Past that I have said it a million times. It does not matter if you are a new rider with your first streetbike or a pro racer vying for the lap record. Better suspension is a benefit to EVERYONE. There is not a single rider anywhere that does not benefit from a suspension that is more compliant and correctly alters the geometry of the bike to aid the rider in getting into and out of the turns which is exactly what properly set-up aftermarket suspension does.
I wrote a long reply disagreeing with you but decided against it. If everything is built as cheaply as possible and therefore crap then that holds true on the rest of the bike.

Fact is, for my needs, I'd likely be plenty happy with custom valving.

post #5 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
I use a set of revalved stock forks. TSE Suspension in WI did the work for the previous owner. I haven't gone fast enough to find it's limitations yet. Using a KTech DDS Pro shock...

There are positives and negatives to their mods but overall I think they work well. I had a set of Thermosman modified/Ohlins FGRT 808 forks on my '09 R1 for comparison.

http://www.tracksidesuspension.com/

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director

Last edited by Neonmarine; 05-02-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloose View Post
I wrote a long reply disagreeing with you but decided against it. If everything is built as cheaply as possible and therefore crap then that holds true on the rest of the bike.

Fact is, for my needs, I'd likely be plenty happy with custom valving.

If you are happy with custom valving and you think that is a justifiable return on the investment then I nor anyone else could ever argue that. It is your bike and your money.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that happily screw homeless chicks as they are cheap dates and you can drop them off anywhere. Others would rather marry an arm trophy that makes well over 6 figures annually and has another home overseas. It's all a matter of what you are willing to work for or compromise with.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
If you are happy with custom valving and you think that is a justifiable return on the investment then I nor anyone else could ever argue that. It is your bike and your money.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that happily screw homeless chicks as they are cheap dates and you can drop them off anywhere. Others would rather marry an arm trophy that makes well over 6 figures annually and has another home overseas. It's all a matter of what you are willing to work for or compromise with.
Wow...smooth bossman, love how you are able to completely insult me (and others) for simply trying to stay within a budget. Guess my standards just aren't on par with your 6 figure lifestyle.

Please note: I never said it was better than the Swedish gold, just good enough. Lots of guys go fast on stock suspension.

By all means, keep on being the winner of the internet though.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"Thereís a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #8 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmarine View Post
Wow...smooth bossman, love how you are able to completely insult me (and others) for simply trying to stay within a budget. Guess my standards just aren't on par with your 6 figure lifestyle.

Please note: I never said it was better than the Swedish gold, just good enough. Lots of guys go fast on stock suspension.

Really bro, you got offended from a humorous analogy. Some of you guys on this forum need a bran muffin or something...

My point was sometimes you get what you pay for. If you want a meager improvement for a meager amount of money spent then great. If you want it to be right then it costs a bit more.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonmarine View Post

The reason I decided not to reply is because I'd just like to know if there were options out there.

TSE is at many races I'm at so maybe I'll talk to them.

The problem is that so many of these suspension shops have the same attitude as LDH (not trying to insult you) in that more money is always better.

Just for reference, I have a hot wife who makes high six figures. I'm still cheap

Just sayin

LDH, Neonmarine and wheelz96 like this.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:

I race on stock suspension (resprung) and have a trophy wife that makes over 6 figures... riddle me that!

I will put in my 2 cents and say the best upgrade I have done thus far was get my stock suspension setup for my weight and pace. With that said I can only imagine how good it would be with proper suspension setup for me! Key words being "setup".

However, with all that said the next mod will be a shock. LDH, wether you like it or not you will be getting a message from me about it one day. Possibly even a lowball offer on ebay
LDH likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in