compression too stiff? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

compression too stiff?

Me and a friend went riding the other day and made our way to some decent back roads for some extra legal riding. When I would try to hold a good steady speed it slowly widened the turn and I would have to let off the throttle to make the turn which made me think my tires were just junk, but, when I would try to accelerate out of a turn it would pop up the front tire instead of spin while still leaned over (which I'm glad of). I know how well that 600 handles because I used to own the bike he has and I spent a full day testing and tuning to get the suspension just right but I shouldn't have had to work that hard just to kind of keep up. The 10 rides pretty good, doesn't seem overly stiff or soft, ride height is perfect, sag is about 14mm and I weigh 170-175.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Is that static sag or rider sag? You are showing all the signs of the rear end collapsing under load. More compression damping would slow that process down but I would get some help with pre load. If it is 14mm static sag it might be too soft.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

front spring rate is prolly too stiff or rear too soft im guessing rear is usually the culprit on these tens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sorry, I mean that it drops about 14 mm when I sit on it. I'm getting it back out for a while tomorrow, I'll try softening up the rear first. On the other bike when I would accelerate hard coming out of or going through a turn instead of the front lifting or getting light the back end would squat a little but felt like it was actually helping to take curves a little faster. Do you think maybe I should soften the compression and rebound a little on the front and the compression on the rear?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Try adding some rebound damping in the front and see if that helps.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Me and a couple guys rode for about 10 hrs today and I never got a chance to make any adjustments until I got home but added a line on the front preload, went from 8 to 6 clicks out on the front rebound damping and from 9 clicks out to 8 clicks out on the front compression damping, I left the rear compression damping alone but turned the rear rebound damping from .25 turn out to about 2.5 turns out. Didn't get a chance to really test it out good but it felt better, on a side note, I lost 3 of the screws holding the upper cowling on. Thanks for everybody's help.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgetno View Post
Didn't get a chance to really test it out good but it felt better
I suggest that unless you're very comfortable with changing the suspension settings, change one thing at a time and observe the effects.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I can't say what's going on just from your report. Just putting me in the situation, (trying to sort it out) I suspect flick on enter is TOO SLOW. If front coming up on exit, TIRES ARE EXCELLENT!

Sounds like suspension is great just that you don't know the bike yet. Remember, faster the flick faster the turn and bike won't wanna go wide, assuming some weight over. If no weight over, bike will fight the flick and the counter steering.

Again, this bike will take a HARD flick and ask me to do whatever it takes and not to worry.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I've got the bike to feeling a little better but I agree that I most likely don't know the bike well enough yet. I probably am flicking it too slow and easy, I know it isn't the bike's fault it isn't turning. I ride scooted all the way against the tank also. Don't know what happened to the screws, the one that stayed in had blue loctite on it but the others just fell out on the road, I replaced them the next day and used red loctite.

Last edited by cantgetno; 08-06-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: riding position
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Here's a helpful suspension tuning guide below.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in