can someone school me on suspension - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

can someone school me on suspension

i have a gen4 2012 zx-10r that i just bought in march. i want to get the suspension set up and tuned properly for my weight. i weight 285lbs and i know the bikes come out of the box set up for <200lb riders. so i know at a bare minumum i need to have it re-sprung for my weight. what added benefits would i see over just re-springing the bike if i was to go to an ohlins rear shock and cartidge inserts for the fork? also is going with the ohlins road and track fork worth the extra $1000 over just going with the cartridge inserts? my riding is mostly agressive street (corner carving) and 3-4 track days a year. i dont mind spending the money on the ohlins parts if the benefits are noticeable over just re-springing the suspension. any help is appreciated

2012 Kawasaki ZX-10R sold
2012 Ducati Diavel sold
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R sold
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000 sold
2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000 sold
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750 sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

anyone?

2012 Ducati Diavel sold
post #3 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ive never had any Ohlins so didnt wanna reply but id say if you plan on more track days or getting more serious there, id spring for the Ohlins. Im thinking of going RaceTech internals on my bike. Ive heard good results just from doing that. Sorry couldnt help more.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Couple things.

1. What are your sag numbers? It sounds like you would need stiffer springs but you really wont know until you get sag numbers and figure out what your pace is.

2. Have you ever had your bike suspension set up to YOU? You'd be surprised how well stock suspension performs in today's bikes. I suggest starting their before you consider upgrading to a cartridge kit/shock.

3. IF you have done all the above and and worked with a tuner to find out what your shortcomings are then yes, Ohlins will help you fix your shortcomings and help you move to the next level.

5. A catridge kit vs RT. Truthfully I would look at a ohlins gas cartridge kit before a R&T fork. The R&T forks have more attention to detail then a stock fork tube. And tolerances are WAY tighter. But there are steps you can take to make the stock tubes better. When I was at Ohlins we talked about a bunch of ways to fix oem tubes, but truthfully you probably wouldn't feel a difference unless your running record pace or you just want the bling factor.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #5 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
Couple things.

1. What are your sag numbers? It sounds like you would need stiffer springs but you really wont know until you get sag numbers and figure out what your pace is.

2. Have you ever had your bike suspension set up to YOU? You'd be surprised how well stock suspension performs in today's bikes. I suggest starting their before you consider upgrading to a cartridge kit/shock.

3. IF you have done all the above and and worked with a tuner to find out what your shortcomings are then yes, Ohlins will help you fix your shortcomings and help you move to the next level.

5. A catridge kit vs RT. Truthfully I would look at a ohlins gas cartridge kit before a R&T fork. The R&T forks have more attention to detail then a stock fork tube. And tolerances are WAY tighter. But there are steps you can take to make the stock tubes better. When I was at Ohlins we talked about a bunch of ways to fix oem tubes, but truthfully you probably wouldn't feel a difference unless your running record pace or you just want the bling factor.
i have never had the suspension set up for me yet.. i was told by a couple of guys that i would need to get stiffer springs because of my weight. so you think i should set sag and buy stiffer springs based on my sag numbers? sorry, i really am a noob when it comes to suspension tuning.

2012 Ducati Diavel sold
post #6 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Scout will be in shortly with loop settings.

15 Camaro Z/28
16 BMW M5
Former bikes: 07 R1/08 10R/10 S1000rr/11 10R
post #7 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosh328 View Post
i have never had the suspension set up for me yet.. i was told by a couple of guys that i would need to get stiffer springs because of my weight. so you think i should set sag and buy stiffer springs based on my sag numbers? sorry, i really am a noob when it comes to suspension tuning.
My advice:

1) get a spring and revalve for the rear shock
2) set the sag, and use the baseline Sport Rider settings for rebound and compression
3) Go to a track day and have the suspension vendor there set it up
post #8 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Scout will be in shortly with loop settings.
Ah, it's not just me i see.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
If I could afford Ohlins I would get them. They have tons of data and really great support. If you dont want to spend that much then take Animals advice. Springs and revalves for the shock and forks and hit the track and let a suspesion vendor work with you for the day. It makes a TON of difference in what you can or cannot do on the bike. Oh and report back here with what you did and how it worked.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Schooled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in