1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bottoms-Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Question >> Bottoming Out Forks <<

So I had OEM forks & shock rebuilt with RaceTech springs to my weight, and I just got them installed. I have yet to tune them or even set sag, and I know I need more preload in the front as I've bottomed them out twice while braking over a bump in the middle of the same corner entrance. I'll be coming in on the brakes, and as soon as I hit this bump, I felt the incredibly unsettling thud of the already loaded forks bottoming out while absorbing said bump.

My question is this: Is this damaging the forks? Does bottoming out your fork damage them?

Embracing the silence amid a life & land full of static...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 AM
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron

Posting Frequency

Garage
There is a bump stop at the very limit of fork's travel to prevent damage so don't be too concerned at the moment.

The preload is important to set for the rider sag but don't forget the compression damping. The idea is to control the upward stroke of the fork to keep it from maxing out. The first thing you should do is set the preload to your weight, then set the clickers to the factory settings. Then see how it reacts.

"You must subsume yourself to the bike"-Casey Stoner

"There’s a moment when a rider needs to stop thinking about technology and just twist the throttle."-Pit Beirer, KTM Motor Sport Director
post #3 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 09:33 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What is the Preload set at?

What is the Rebound set at?

What is the Compression set at?

What is the oil level set at?

What weight oil did they use? (Brand / Weight)

What weight spring did they install vs the OEM? Why did you think you needed to change the springs?

What did you set the sag at?

I wouldn't worried about hurting the forks, I'd be worried about crashing!
evallarta1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
This is a really good video to watch to get the basics on sag, compression, and rebound damping. Setting the sag can be tedious so I skipped that personally. I used video 2 to at least get a good baseline before having some trackside suspension guys work their magic. When those guys got the sag right though WOW... night and day difference and now the bike, as heavy and long wheelbased as she is, just throws itself into turns and induces lean angle.

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 09-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If you weren't having a problem before you sent them in and now you are having a problem check to see what the different is. Dunno what the process is for RT but at our shop we give you the suspension back with the same settings you gave them to us at. The damping may not be set.

Also RT doesnt have springs that are bike specific. They use washers to take up the slack if needed. We've seen those spacers shift in the tubes and cause false bottoming. Not much the internet can do, so go out and see what the suspension is set at.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in