Blown seal - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Blown seal

I replaced the seals in my gen 1 forks this spring BC they were leaking. I noticed soon after that the left side started leaking right away. Then it finally blew a couple week s ago and all the oil leaked out . Is this BC I didn't seat the seal right? Or is the fork shot? Bike has 23kmi

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Check the shiny part of the fork, the one that moves inside the fork seal. If it has chips or rough spots it is probably tearing up the seal. That part is replaceable but probably expensive.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 10:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

seals

Does your fork have bushings if so those should be replaced and shimmed to keep the seal from failing. Check the manuel and see if your forks have bushings. Check the spec and use feeler gauges to shim the bushings to factory spec. You will have to cut the feeler gauge and thats your shim tough on the feeler gauge but works great. Did this on my 04 a couple years ago and no more leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-09-2013, 11:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
Check the shiny part of the fork, the one that moves inside the fork seal. If it has chips or rough spots it is probably tearing up the seal. That part is replaceable but probably expensive.

More than likely you have a nick in the lower fork tube. Check the part and see if you have and scratches or nicks. If you find one run your finger nail over it, if you can feel it with your nail then you have to fix it.

To fix it get some 600 grit sand paper and very gently sand down the nick. Be very careful when doing this. All you're trying to do is sand down the edges of the nick. You are NOT trying to sand the nick out, just removing the edges.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #5 of 6 Old 11-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

a knick wont cause a total seal blow out. its likely the bushings have the teflon worn off them allowing the lower leg to move forward and back and distort the seal. or you screwed up the bushings when you took it apart to do the seals. i have done that its a bitch to carefully spread the lower bushing over the upper without gouging wither of them.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thnx for the help. I'm gonna take it apart and check it out. At least its too cold to ride lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in