Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Blown seal

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  6ixxer 
#1 ·
I replaced the seals in my gen 1 forks this spring BC they were leaking. I noticed soon after that the left side started leaking right away. Then it finally blew a couple week s ago and all the oil leaked out . Is this BC I didn't seat the seal right? Or is the fork shot? Bike has 23kmi

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
:+1:

More than likely you have a nick in the lower fork tube. Check the part and see if you have and scratches or nicks. If you find one run your finger nail over it, if you can feel it with your nail then you have to fix it.

To fix it get some 600 grit sand paper and very gently sand down the nick. Be very careful when doing this. All you're trying to do is sand down the edges of the nick. You are NOT trying to sand the nick out, just removing the edges.

#3 ·
seals

Does your fork have bushings if so those should be replaced and shimmed to keep the seal from failing. Check the manuel and see if your forks have bushings. Check the spec and use feeler gauges to shim the bushings to factory spec. You will have to cut the feeler gauge and thats your shim tough on the feeler gauge but works great. Did this on my 04 a couple years ago and no more leaks.

#5 ·
a knick wont cause a total seal blow out. its likely the bushings have the teflon worn off them allowing the lower leg to move forward and back and distort the seal. or you screwed up the bushings when you took it apart to do the seals. i have done that its a bitch to carefully spread the lower bushing over the upper without gouging wither of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.