Bike won't get traction - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Bike won't get traction

So last year, my bike, gen4 10r, would hook street strip everything never any issues, sometimes it'd even shoot for the sky on the street let alone the track. Now for some reason I can't even get traction from a 60roll let alone a dig. Will spin some on the track too where it didn't before. The tire has rubber all tore up on it when I get home from trying to race. started at 15psi cold took it all the way down to 10 psi cold still won't get traction.

Now for what has changed, I did a motor swap but it's the same stock motor because I blew the old one. Changed my sprockets to steel versus aluminum rear before but same gearing. New chain which happens to also kick the tire out an extra 2", new tire, shinko hook up, and that is it. Not sure if the extra 2", from 64" to 66" or so, completely messed up the geometry or what happened....

Last edited by Johnn999; 04-26-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What settings do you have on the rear shock. That could be the problem. Track conditions and temps have a lot to do with hookup. Has it rained recently and made the track green. Does your track use VHT. Lots of variables as to why it will or won't hook up.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

No idea on shock settings, but I do know it worked great last year street and strip, i've cut as low as a 1.43 60' and this year I couldn't get under 1.5 cause spinning. almost never spun now with those changes it wont get any traction until 2nd gear on the street and it will kind of hook at the strip after I move out. They were using VHT that night I was there, everybody else said it was hooking great so it's most def a bike issue.

I could understand slight adjustment since I went a little longer but going from always hooking to no traction at all I don't understand it.

Here's my tire after roll racing, only like 2 pulls, it most def just spins. Should I shorten it back up 2" like it was last year?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to mystotic-racing
Is this the same tire you had last year or are you trying so etching different
post #5 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

could be your not getting the weight transfer that you had with the 2 inch difference. Also pretty important to find out what your rear shock is set at. You should be full soft on compression in the rear to get the squat you need to make the tire hook up. Experiment with the rear tire pressures perhaps dropping a pound or two will make the tire hook better. The tire doesn't look bad but you will get more tire contact will a bit less pressure. What gear are you doing your burnout in Third gear is the best for doing a good burnout at wheel speed is higher putting more hear in the tire. From looking at your tire I think you should drop the pressure a bit more. Like I said lots of variables can affect traction.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I ran a shinko hook up last year aswell. Ran 13-14psi cold I believe and it hooked up no problems, 10 psi cold now. I can take a gander at the compression and go full soft, im maybe 150 fully geared. I generally just do 1st gear burnouts start middle lean each side for a few seconds then back to middle. Should I do anything with the dampening? Previous owner was also my weight and did a lot of drag racing so I know he messed with it a bit.

Ill try those few things tho see what it'll do, 66" shouldn't be too long to hook on the street. If those things don't work ill just shorten it back up 2".
post #7 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You want a slow rebound also on the shock

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
post #8 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 04:01 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn999 View Post
I ran a shinko hook up last year aswell. Ran 13-14psi cold I believe and it hooked up no problems, 10 psi cold now. I can take a gander at the compression and go full soft, im maybe 150 fully geared. I generally just do 1st gear burnouts start middle lean each side for a few seconds then back to middle. Should I do anything with the dampening? Previous owner was also my weight and did a lot of drag racing so I know he messed with it a bit.

Ill try those few things tho see what it'll do, 66" shouldn't be too long to hook on the street. If those things don't work ill just shorten it back up 2".
ya I wouldn't go lower than 10 pounds. First gear burnout is probably not getting enough heat into the tire. Like I said try third more heat. Like brat said slow rebound down. When you launch don't use the middle of the track launch in the car tire tracks that's where the rubber and better traction is if your not doing that already.

Last edited by TechX; 04-26-2014 at 05:27 PM.
post #9 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Not sure if this is of any use.. but it might be worth a look ;)

The Race Track Tyre Wear Guide

http://biketrackdayshub.com/motorcycle-tyre-wear-guide
post #10 of 35 Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yea I always launch in the car tire, never had a issue last year constant 1.4s with a 1.43 60' 3.81 330's last year 2" shorter. I want to get into the 1.3s but that wont happen with it spinning like it is now lol. I really think just going 2" out took too much weight off the rear. Just never realized it'd make a huge difference with the bike.

I had tried 18psi cold to start with and lowered from there to where I am at now. No change really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in