Avon calling... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Avon calling...

Anyone ever use these? Seems like they might be a fairly sticky track tire and a pretty decent deal with the rebate going on.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Avon-3D-Ult...ckage-Specials

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
No one??

post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think theyre pretty new, not sure if anyone will have really had a chance.

Avon are not a brand people tend to use or recognise as being 'good' (compared to the others) generally due to the past from what I can gather. These Avon 3Ds have had good write ups over here (UK) so far but people tend to stick to what they know i.e. Pirelli, Michelin etc.

2004 ZX10R Black:'09 ZX6R Nissin Callipers, '10 ZX6R MC, HEL Braided Lines, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, '06 ZX10R Rear Calliper, R&G Crash Bungs (Forks, Rear Bobbins, Bar Ends, Frame Sliders), R&G Tail Tidy, K&N Air Filter, Cut-down Akrapovic Slip On, Acumen Digital Gear Indicator, Double Bubble Screen, Autocom Intercom

Oh, and: 30 Snakes, 15 Lizards, 2 Tarantulas, 5 Leaf Insects, a Guinea Pig, a Rabbit, about 20 mice and 2 Sphinx Cats! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ZX10BURNER
I’ve been using Avon tires for years; started out using the Avon Azaro AV35/36 sport-touring tires, moved on to the AV39/40s Supersport, AV59/60 Viper Supersport, currently riding on the AV61/62 Viper Extremes. In-between the various Avon tires Dunlop, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Michelin were also used.

In the UK Avon tires are rated fairly well, however; here in the U.S. they are rated so-so depending on the class of tire being used/compared. Check out the following reviews http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/49...-Shootout.aspx and http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/82...omparison.aspx when it comes time to replace the Extremes I’ll more than likely go with the Avon 3D Ultra Supersports or Extremes. With the $50 rebate price wise they’re right in line with other tires in their class. Though I think the best deal going right now is with the Bridgestone Hypersport S20s.

Btw, I have used Avons during track days without any issues; have always offered good grip and feedback.

It's Not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Last edited by ZX10BURNER; 05-22-2012 at 09:36 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I've been using Avon for years on all my bikes and like them, where I noticed the biggest change was on my 08 FXDWG. The Avons compared to the dunlops made a huge difference in handling. I use them on my sportbikes also and can tell a difference just not as big. I've used quite a few different Avons just haven't used the 3D yet. I'd give them try.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys. Im really leaning towards the 3D Extremes but Im also considering the BT-003's.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Avon tires ALWAYS get horrible reviews.
Pirelli SC's and Power One's are always ranked up top for a DOT track and street tire. Why get a shit tire if it can be avoided?

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

http://www.visordown.com/niall-macke...nge/20331.html

2004 ZX10R Black:'09 ZX6R Nissin Callipers, '10 ZX6R MC, HEL Braided Lines, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert, '06 ZX10R Rear Calliper, R&G Crash Bungs (Forks, Rear Bobbins, Bar Ends, Frame Sliders), R&G Tail Tidy, K&N Air Filter, Cut-down Akrapovic Slip On, Acumen Digital Gear Indicator, Double Bubble Screen, Autocom Intercom

Oh, and: 30 Snakes, 15 Lizards, 2 Tarantulas, 5 Leaf Insects, a Guinea Pig, a Rabbit, about 20 mice and 2 Sphinx Cats! :D
post #9 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

There's a LOT of AVON endorsements going on there...gear, bike, track etc. I tend to favor shootouts for unbiased opinions like the one here http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/49...omparison.aspx though NOT the 3D I would still expect same results when compared to TOP tires out right now.

Even on this site alone the Brickstones have really impressed, almost changing their nickname. And their price is the best of top list. The GP-A's are getting GREAT reviews on here and mags while the Super Corsa's have 3 compounds and also 2 versions with all having a HEFTY price...most costly of top list. But a GREAT tire. I loved them but cost wasn't practical for me on street but were fantastic on street.
Power Ones are older tire, one compound choice, though STICKY, and kinda outdated but STILL a great all around tire but also pricey in the list. Great street tire too.
Avon just hasn't had a GREAT tire in a long time. A tire for track and street use. They went in direction of the FAT tire for a long time and stopped being competitive in fighting it out with the other top names but I COULD be wrong. Haven't heard enough about the 3D except that they are NEW.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in