Any Tire Recommendations For My Style Of Riding - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
LSB
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Any Tire Recommendations For My Style Of Riding

Hey guys, this is my first post and my 2012 10r is only at 361miles(2days old).

On the second day i took the new bike out on a well known NY twisty section and when i got back home i saw i had the tires on and off the edges. I was hanging off the bike aggressively so i feel i need a tire with more of a lean angle.

The front tire was fully on the edge on the right, just off on the left.
The rear was marking the "sidewall edge" on the right and to the edge on the left. And that was w/less than 300mile on the bike.

The stock tires(bt-0014?) seem to have great feel and grip but i don't have the confidence in them after seeing how the looked after my first spirited ride.

What i am looking for in a tire is a "street tire", i need it to:
1. Warm up quick or preform great cold as i am rarely on roads that get sun, and i like to just hop on and go.
2. Have a better lean angle, i low side here and there on the street and i dont want to run into this on this beauty if possible!!
3. Price and mileage are not concerns, but i would like a responsive and quick turn in. The Pilot Pures on my other bike seem to take extra effort but have great specs on paper.

I am still breaking in the motor, haven't been over 90mph but damn does this bike feel like current technology.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
LSB
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I knew i would forget some extra info.

I understand that i can go from the 190/55 up to a 190/60 and that would give me some extra contact patch on the sides of the rear tire.
I have even read on this forum that some are using a 200/60/17.
No options for the same theory for the front right? I can only go lower on the profile(120/60/17).

Any thoughts on playing around with the sizes, how will that effect the feel/performance. Will it be harder to turn in/slower response?

Edit. I am about 145lbs and the suspension feels kinda firm but not overly so, i dont even know how to begin making improvements in that department. How important is that to my overall experience?

Last edited by LSB; 05-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.
post #3 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You must be ready for World Super Bike if you're out riding the BT-016's! Maybe you're leaning too far over? I've actually felt the stock tires aren't bad, but YMMV. Maybe some Dunlop Q2's or ?????? I don't think any tire is going to let you lean the bike even further over. If you're going edge to edge on the stock tires and they're holding on, then that means they're doing their job. Take it easy on the street.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Id love to see a Picture of your "Front Street Tire" with No Strips on them!
post #5 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
So, you've got the entire front tire used up edge-to-edge basically? You've got to be dragging hard parts if that's the case. The front tire is designed with more curvature so you still have some contact patch left when the rear runs out. I gotta see some pics of these tires.

The Dunlop Q2's are great tires. They wear out quickly, but stick like glue. They won't give you much more lean but they will stick better than the OEM 'Stones.

Going to a 190/60 will add more contact patch leaned over and be more rounded in the center to help get you to the edge of it quicker. You'll sacrifice some straightline stability and it will gear your bike down a bit being larger and heavier. As for the front, dropping the height to a 120/60 will only flatten out the profile and cause the steering response to slow down.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

LIKE THE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED. I WANNA SEE PICS OF THESE TIRES!

post #7 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampazx View Post
id love to see a picture of your "front street tire" with no strips on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
i could give two shits if you were taking a bubble bath in applesauce being fed grapes by lemurs with electrodes attached to your nipples in the bed of a semi truck, as long as you're not holding up traffic, go for it
post #8 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah, here are pics of mine. Stock BT-016, roughly 2400 miles on them. As you can see my rear is "almost" to the edge and the front still has a ways to go. I can't imagine how you have used up the entire front, unless it was from a low-side!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	161730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	161731  

post #9 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
LSB
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Here are the pics, broken down they are:
1. Front left
2. Front right
3. Rear left
4. Rear right(taken today because i got all flustered and forgot to sunday night after the ride due to the emence amout of chain grease everywhere including the sidewall that got spun onto the edge of the thread(that tire was at the edge when on the top of the mountain) The sidewall has a heavy deposit if grease on it..........not very happy about that!!!! i have had a broken wrist for 3months now, got my new cast for the next 6weeks today.
5. The current milage
6. Where i was when i was having fun(Bear Mountain NY).

Last edited by LSB; 05-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
post #10 of 69 Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
I wouldnt go with the 60's....I was just lookin at a local racer that very well known in my area and he went to a 60..Didnt use it all up...Weight is noticeable to..Stick with the 55 i say..
I to have noticed a few guys sayin stockers were not confidence inspireing,i have a gen 3 and thinkin about the pirelli rossos..

Best bet is read a few reviews and get their weights and come back for the thoughts of the guys here..

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.

Last edited by craig_sez; 05-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in