Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Which brake lines for ZX14 calipers and m/c?

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Hattori Hanzo 
#1 ·
I won a complete zx14 front brake system (calipers, lines, pads, m/c etc.) on ebay and had it delivered to my friend in U.S. who will bring it when he's coming over. Since I will be buying ss-lines, I would like to make things easier for him so I told him to remove the oem brake lines but I saw a metal piece (circled red in the pic) that I don't recall seeing on my bike before. Do I just tell him to remove all the lines (except the one from reservoir to the m/c) and the metal piece and bring me the rest? I'm just being cautious as I don't want to find out I'm missing something later.

My other question is which ss-lines do I buy? Obviously the smart answer would be zx14 lines since that's what the system is but i'm not sure if they'll be too long for 10R as ZX14 looks bigger and might have different distances compared to the 10R. Btw at the moment I got galfer ss-lines black with gold banjos and i'm happy with them so i'll probably go for Galfer again, might try their new superlight lines.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought something just like yours... I actually rode with everything zx14 stock I just zip tied the lines up.

If your going to put the lines on a 04-05 get a 06-07 stainless steel brake line kit. the master has the same degree angle on the output as a 06-07 does but the 04-05 is a lil different.

so you can tell him to just send the calipers and the master and resivior alone and none of the brake lines.....

but make sure you get a 06-07 line set or they will be the wrong angle...and if you buy a zx14 brake line set they will be a bit to long.

HEL makes great lines but alot of other companies provide great products as well....

#3 ·
Ok let me get this straight you're saying to get 06-07 10R lines instead of zx14 ones? (btw my bike is 05) I am thinking of buying galfer ss-lines or galfer superlight lines. Why do the lines look different on the zx14 system? I mean why is there a metal piece and 2 lines on each side instead of 1 long one from m/c to the right caliper?

#4 ·
yeah i have a 04-05 as well and the way the fittings are from the master to the calipers is different.....also the ZX-14s brake line length is different and that block is there most likely to secure them to the chassis. the 06-07 has the right bends in the brake lines to go from the master to the calipers so I simply asked for a set of 06-07 front brake lines and they bolt up perfectly. I wish i had some good pics but i dont.

#9 ·
Hey Garth, I noticed these nissin calipers are also called 07 6r calipers, so I am thinking if the master cylinders (zx14 and 07 6r) are also the same, buying 07 6r ss lines would be the better option in terms of length (as the lines go in on top of the calipers vs 06 10r lines going in on the middle part of tokiocs). What do you think?

#10 ·
HH

As Garth mentioned the banjo fittings that connect to your 05 MC have diff angles than what the 06,7 zx10, zx14 & 07 zx6r due to the MC be a radial design but will more than likely work as a few members have crossed this very scenerio and made them work by twisting the banjo fitting CAREFULLY (recommended by Galfer themselves) and if your current lines don't work then yes either zx14 or 07 zx6r lines for fitment purposes would seal the deal.

BD

#11 ·
Depends on which master you go with, you basically want which ever lines for which ever master. Are you running a complete zx14 master and calipers?

IF so I'm sure the 6r lines would work but I know that the 06-07 lines work perfectly since they are the same master and they are the right length.

I don't know if the length of the 6r's is long enough or what not so I don't know.

If your running complete 14 setup like me just get 06-07 ZX10r lines.

#13 ·
Yes, it is a complete zx14 set-up (calipers, pads, oem lines, and master cylinder). So my options would be, zx14, 07 6R and 06 10R lines since they all have the same master and same calipers except 06 10R (which needs few cm extra length due to connection point being in the middle of the tokico caliper). It's difficult with these things since I'm far away so I guess I'll try to make my 05 ss lines fit first, if not i'll go with 06 10r or 07 6R ss lines.

I should just contact a galfer tech and ask about the lenghts of the lines :idea:

#16 ·
I have the ZX-14 master/caliper combo on my '05 10. I reused the Goodridge lines I already had installed before the swap. They are the stock style with one crossing over the fender. The one that crosses over is a little too long, but still works fine. With a little fiddling the master end bolted up fine.

#18 ·
Try switchin em end for end to see what your options are, try stackin the bajo different ways, and like BD said you can rotate the banjo on the line. I don't see why the 05 stuff wouldn't work. Just experiment with em and if they fit, make sure the lines don't go tight if you raise the bars to fully extend the forks.

#20 ·
Thanks guys, I messaged Galfer tech guys, so I will let you know once I find out the difference between zx14, 07 6R and 06 10r lines. Maybe the ZX14 lines are the same length as the others, not longer like I think they might be. Eitherway I'll fiddle with the 05 lines that I have first since it'll be the most cost effective.

#21 ·
Ok here is what the GALFER tech said:

HH QUESTION: Hi, just wondering which Galfer ss-lines will be more suitable for my application. I have a 05 ZX-10R with Galfer SS-lines but now upgrading my calipers and master cylinder to 07 ZX-14 ones. The lines went in on the middle on Tokicos and they go in on top on Nissins.

As far as I know these Nissin calipers and the master cylinder are the same for zx14 and 07 zx6r and one guy told me 06 10R lines also fit this application (because of the bends that suit zx14 m/c).

You guys would know the best which line is which length and how the bends look so I hope you can help me out here. My options are:

- use my existing galfer ss lines for 05 but try to bend it slightly
- just buy the zx14 lines, this sounds like the safest bet however I am not sure if zx14 lines are longer as the bike looks like it has a bigger front end (longer distance from m/c to calipers) then my 05 10R, or at least that's how it feels psychologically. Please let me know if Galfer ZX-14 ss-lines are longer than 07 zx6R and 06-07 zx10r lines
- 06-07 zx10r lines
- 07 zx6r lines

So which lines for zx14 full brake system conversion on a 05 zx10r?

Thanks in advance,

GALFER TECH (Sergio Garcia): The 06+ 10 lines are what people are using when the swap to the new masters on the 04-05 bikes. The difference between banjo mounting between the 2 calipers is very slight. My best advice to you is mount the whole system up minus the lines. Then, use your current lines to find out what you need. Example, might need the newer style top mounting for the radial master, but once you run the lines down to the caliper, you find that you have too much or too little cable. Once you know what you need, order that. 04-05 lines kit, with the fitting at the master that you see working best and alter the length as you see fit. Check out this link to help you build the lines.... http://galferusa.com/CUSTOM_LINE_SHEET.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.