Buying Another ZX10, Need Advice

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  viperwolf 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a choice
EDIT: The choices i have
2017 KRT
2017 RR
2018 standard
My last bike was the 30th anniversary, and I know they have changed sense then.

How much of difference is it between a SE and the other?
Is there a difference between the 2017 and the 2018 models?
Should i just wait for a 2018 Special Edition model?
Thanks guys in advance.

#6 ·
I'd go for the 2017 KRT. It seems like it'd just be the cheapest price out the door. Who needs the RR or SE model since their performance isn't all that enhanced over a basic 10R.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information guys, Ive tried searching for comparisons of 2017 and 2018. Also between the types, I hate they made different types now. They need more paint schemes than package set ups in my opinion. If the RR has better internals, well the basic zx10r should have the same. Make the RR a full blown race bike and be done with it. Its like buying a car now :) but that just my opinion ofcourse.

Im going to research the gen 6 and see if I want to wait that long.

Edit: I found nothing on a gen 6. Was there any changes between 2017 and 2018?

#13 · (Edited)
There is no simple solution for your question. Below I attached Kawasaki's own comparison for 2018. The ZX-10R is a great bike, I owned a 2013 without ABS and I have a 2016 with ABS. First, I wouldn't get another ZX10 without ABS. The KRT is more than just paint scheme. It includes a race kit to adjust the steering angle and the rear swing arm (wheelbase) can be adjusted. This is a factor when riding on different race tracks. Some have short turns, some have long straights, some are more technical than others. The KRT is first bike to have cornering braking ABS that helps you hold your line when cornering and braking. It requires ABS. The KRT Edition is good for street and track.

The ZX10-RR is geared for the track and is limited to so many a year/per region. The ZX-10RR was built for racing because of rule changes in World Superbike and other levels of motorcycle racing. This bike has stronger internals for better reliability, reinforced crankcase, lighter premium wheels, a modified head to fit the "hot cams" (high output camshaft). Some dealers got lucky and got their hands on one however the racing community gets these first. As a matter of fact, the one I was going to get last May was redirected from my dealer for racing purposes.

The Special Edition ZX10R SE has everything the 10RR plus it has electronic suspension control that is world class. It does not work the same as some other manufactures, it reacts much quicker, and is flowing, not in steps. This suspension is both softer and firmer than any other ZX10 model, so it is more versatile. Great for canyon carving, rough street roads and firm for the track. This bike is the best for the street.

All of the ZX10 models can be reflashed to enable autoblipper (clutchless downshifting). But some places charge more for that service. I have the autoblipper on my 2016 (Woolich Software) I can adjust the firmness and change the delay. You can also get the Race ECU which allows a larger variety of adjustments. I hope this helps in making your decision on which model to choose. If you are not a racer or someone that goes to the track for tracker days your decision becomes less complicated. There is no talk of a Gen 6 anytime soon. I'm still waiting on Kawasaki to redesign the 2012 body sytle of the ZX14R.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.