Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Headlight Conversion

787 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  sneaky 
#1 ·
Has anybody seen this . Also wondered if this guy has got a new reflector or if its just the wiring to make both work on high and low beams.

Tread

#2 ·
Hmmmm ...

Xenon HID bulbs ... those can be a ticket-generator in some areas. If it's OK in your area, they are supposed to put out more light.

The seller is wrong about the amperage draw with both low and high bulbs on with the *stock* set-up. When you switch to high beam with the *stock* setup, that is exactly what happens. Both low and high come on. The circuit is rated for that load. He's probably talking about what would happen if someone installed dual-element bulbs in both sides and then wired it the same way as stock; the stock switching setup would result in all FOUR filaments on at the same time, and that would definitely cause a problem.

I doubt if the reflector is actually changed. The design and tooling to make properly-engineered reflectors of a different shape would be insanely expensive. Probably he just re-aims the low-beam reflector higher and then installs dual-element bulbs. If that's the case, it's not a perfect solution, but it will sorta work ...

This would appear to solve the headaches of finding a place to install the ballast and extraneous components that HID bulbs normally require, by giving you a pre-engineered solution.

Can't comment on the results or on the vendor, but it looks promising.

#4 ·
mangano3 said:
what i want to know is what is the deal with the last two pics . . . looks like the tabs were removed and glued back on . . . dont like that idea :dontknow:
Interesting alternative to hid's.

The tab deal is that if you "buy it now" and keep your original, you get the repaired one in the picture already to go.

The other offer is to rig your own and send it back. Or he will send that one and reimburse you for a "core" amount on your stuff.

It seems that he bought one in need of repair to fix, rig and sell.

I don't know the guy- just read through it twice.

#6 ·
This looks interesting. I know if you photograph the stock headlight with both beams on, you can't photograph them where each light looks exactly the same. Since our high and low beam bulbs are the same, that has to be due to the reflectors. For some reason, he has managed to make his look uniform, right to left, on both high and low beam. Could it be a projector type headlight that has it's own internal reflector and both high and low elements. The price seems reasonable. I would think it would be hard to duplicate his results for much less money.

#7 ·
I actually noticed the same thing on my 636 and did something that I way do on the 10, I measured the voltage at the connector on the low beam and high beam and found out the low beam is right at 1.5 volts less than the high beam. This could be why the beam look so much different.

I guess if I was bored I could plot out the reflector and see if there is that much of a change in the two or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.