Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Ohlins rear shock has small crack in body..help!!!

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  fireman69 
#1 ·
Fellow riders I need ur input/ suggestion I was at thunder hill on march 18 . While there I had my suspension adjusted. While doing so we noticed small amount of oil seeping from the top/head area of my ohlins shock not the gold part but the actual head/ body part . Where do I go ? Who do I call . And is this normal? It seems to me to be a parts failure on the part of ohlins I didn't wreck and shock was never banged or dropped nothing so I don't see how this could happen. Is anyone familiar with this situation ?.

#2 ·
Can you see a crack? If so you will need to send it in to have it completely rebuilt. I had this happen on another brand before. Unfortunately I bought it that way from a member on this site.

It was junk at that point. Nobody was able to fix it. However that is the beauty of ohlis. There are hundreds of techs ou there that han help you out and parts tend to be readily avail.

Good luck

#6 ·
The easiest answer is send it to OhlinsUSA. They can replace any of the parts very easily. Otherwise any suspension shop should be able to fix it for you.

As to it being normal not really. But remember seals and o-rings are a wear part, so if you havent had it inspected/serviced it could happen. Also make sure it's coming from the shock and not from something else.

#7 ·
This guy does great work on Ohlins stuff for me.

http://www.thermosman.com/

Buy yeah, any suspension tech can probably fix it for you.

#9 ·
Questions for all who are will to offer info ..I contact a shop and ask if they worked on/ service and repair ohlins rear shock . I told him that the body of the shock had a hairline crack in it. He told me he could weld it / drill two holes into body and take at touch to it and seal it . Is this a good idea/ safe ?Or better to have the part replaced..

#10 ·
#15 ·
Your shock needs a rebuild and a replacement shock body. I would venture a guess at about 3-400.00 with your shipping. My shock needed a revalve. So new valves wre about $150.00. That is 2 very different jobs however.

Give Dan Kyle a call. He is the guy on the other end of the phone. Not some kid on reception. He will tell you straight what your cost is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.