Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Preload adjustment having no effect on sag?

Gen 1: 2004-05 
3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric_The_Jew 
#1 ·
I have been using the race tech method to measure my front fork sag, and no amount of preload can get my static sag less than 33 mm. Whether I have 1 line showing or 5, it seems to have no effect on sag numbers. It seems stuck between 33-35 mm. Any ideas? I'm 200 lbs without gear, and from what I have read the stock spring rates on a gen 1 are more than suitable for my weight.

#3 ·
I have always aimed for a more track oriented sag number on most of the bikes I have owned because I ride pretty hard on the street with a few track days sprinkled in here and there. My concern is why the sag number is not changing with even max preload dialed in? I want to try 30/28 sag settings front/rear.

#4 ·
That is weird...
When is the last time you got your forks rebuilt?
Maybe sticktion is not letting them sag properly.

#5 ·
:+2: my guess as well...were the forks ever bent? Were the adjusters ever forced passed their range of movement? :dontknow:

#6 ·
or is your compression set on the hard side...

#7 ·
Running into the top out springs? By static sag do you mean you not on the bike? Static is unweighted, rider sag is with you on it.

#8 ·
I was referring to static sag with me on the bike. I refer to the unweighted sag as "free sag", as does Race Tech:

(#3).
http://racetech.com/page/id/30

#10 ·
Maybe you're on to something RPG. The bike only has 2k miles, and has never been wrecked. I have even loosened the fork pinch bolts to make sure the forks were in alignment and not binding. Sport Riders setting on the fork was with only 2 lines showing, which is almost cranked all the way in. I went all the way up to that setting and the sag numbers are roughly the same. I can tell the preload is changing though because the ride height seems greater in the front now. :dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.