Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Tracking zx10r from a zx6r

Gen 3: 2008-10 
991 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hayden41 
#1 ·
Any pointers from using a zx6r 2006 636 for the past two years, to trying a zx10r for the first time on the track at a upper intermediate pace? I'd done some spirited street rides with the 10r but still trying to get a feel for how hard I can hit the throttle coming out of a turn and I do notice the weight a little bit when throwing it side to side.

#2 ·
I've done some track riding on my ZX10 and on my GSXR600. the biggest difference that I felt was getting back on the throttle. On the 600 is less worry and you really have to be careful about not giving too much throttle while leaned over on the literbike. try to square off your turns a bit more with the big bike. you can accellerate once the bike is upright much faster than on a 600 which also means your brakeing points will come up much quicker. I trailbrake alot more with the 10 than with a 600 but I also don't want to down my zx and my gsxr has already been crashed a few times so I am willing to take more risks with it. an 1000 is a much more physically demanding bike to ride on the track fast. it will push you around alot more. let your legs do more work make sure you get over to the side of the bike you are turning to before you hit your braking marker otherwise you'll be doing handlebar pushups all session.

#3 ·
All good points taken. After a few spirited street rides, I've gotten more used to the throttle control coming out of turns. It comes out of the apex with the quickness, it's straight up addicting, I love it. Can't wait to try it at the track with some proper race tires.

#4 ·
Well an upper intermediates pace is the same on either bike so my guess is you'll be fine. Keep in mind you won't have to use the throttle as early and as much on a liter bike vs the 600, the straights are going to seem alot shorter though.

Also as far as flickability, the gen 3 is going to be more similar to the 600 than the 04-07 models, it will probably surprise you how nice it is. I think the acceleration is going to be the biggest factor. If you run that pace, you can run in the advance group so you're obviously familiar with track riding. Should have little or no issues with the 1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.