Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Some mods, and weights....

4K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  neverendingmods 
#1 · (Edited)
Put some new bits and pieces on the green beast today, took down some weights for those interested.....
520 chain and sprocket kit, sprockets only; supersprox rear, can't remember the brand of the front 16/40 @ .88kg, stock front/rear @ 1.01kg
Chain EK mxvz (i think) 520 pitch @ 2.03kg and stock at 2.05kg (I found that interesting)
Carbon front gaurd (osk bodykit) .55kg and stock @ .62kg
Carbon rear hugger and chaingaurd (same brand) @ .36kg and stock at .36 too
Replaced the bolts to hold these on at the same time with pro-bolt ones, .015kg and stock @ .04kg.
And a keyless filler cap, gas-cap-dude (e-bay) @ .15kg, down from .52kg stock.....
Soooo, no real difference in the chain, despite being a 520 over the stock 525 :dontknow:(gearing change should be good though), bugger all in the carbon stuff, the best loss was in the cheapest part..... :rolleyes:
Total for the stock stuff was 4.6kg, and the new stuff 3.985kg, for a total loss of .615kg....
Haven't re-weighed my credit card yet, it's a fair bit lighter though :eyecrazy:

#4 · (Edited)
Yep. Before it was 2.2kg. I nearly put it all in the skip.... :lol:
Total savings on the chain/sprocket was only 150 grams (5.29oz), and I'd say most of that was in the ally bit of the supersprox, which is towards the centre of the sprocket, where it will do the least good for rotational mass. Still helps a little with unsprung weight, but I reckon you'd get better results looking at tire weights...

#3 ·
Well I guess it just shows how hard it is to get real unsprung weight savings....
Anyway, I too got a Supersprox and Ek mvxz 520 setup waiting to go on. After having looked at it and held it, I firmly believe that the Supersprox are pure snake oil. You "might" get some savings on a 530 setup but I do not think for one second that you save any weight over a well made all steel sprocket in 520. Also think it looks a bit cheesy (rivets look cheap) but that's an opinion.
I also bought a set of aluminum lug nuts at the same time and they don't seem to have any weight so might make up for the extra teeth on the supersprox :dontknow:

I have to say that the best bang for the buck weight savings I have seen yet is the MDA123 battery pack!!!

#5 ·
I also bought a set of aluminum lug nuts at the same time and they don't seem to have any weight so might make up for the extra teeth on the supersprox :dontknow:

I have to say that the best bang for the buck weight savings I have seen yet is the MDA123 battery pack!!!
Yeh, I went to the local supplier to get some ti ones, but he didn't have any in stock (or ally), any idea of the weight diff?
What's the go with the battery? How much did that shave off?

#16 ·
Wow that is a decent savings! I'm planning on installing the 520 kit soon and am wondering about weather to torque the lugs to spec or not? Could the steel bolts could pull the alloy threads? I only paid like $20 so if they where single use I wouldn't cry but....

Thoughts?

#20 ·
Calm down guys! Supersprox are snake oil and Vortex sprockets are junk :lol:

#29 ·
Snake Oil!! I joke, very nice man. Weigh that shock setup compared th the stocker as I'd be surprised if it didn't weigh less.
Anybody that thinks a SuperSprox stealth sprocket is junk is on crack and must own a diamond studded rear sprocket.

#31 ·
Haha, oh well. Where's the final installed pic?

#33 ·
You can't miss that big reservoir though. Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.