Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Power race issue. Can i trust them?

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ol_dog_big_balls 
#1 ·
Don't know if this is normal or not. So i'm balancing my front tire and everything went smooth. So i just felt like spinning the tire really fast just because im bored and noticed something disturbing. There is a section of the tire that dips down as it is spinning(looking eye level horizontally). You can visually see the small line 1/8 of an inch above the rim dip down.

It appears like the tire is either deformed or i did not set the bead correctly. So i broke the bead and re-set it again. Still has a section that dips down as it's spinning. Though it is balanced, i find it disturbing that a tire itself(not the RIM) dips, and at high speeds this can be a major issue and can be dangerous.

I spent an hour trying to figure out why it would do that. SO, i change the front with another set. Still having the same problem but at a different section. I got tired of messing with front and decided to do the rear tire. The first thing i do is spin it and look for the dip in the tire as it's spinning. AND the rear does it too!!!!WTF!!!!!. I swaped out three different rears (soft, pr-e, and medium). And they all dip while spinning. Keep in mind i bought these tires from various shops, online, sportbiketrackgear, JCmotors. They can't be all deformed can they??

I have done five track days and plan to do novice heavy weight as soon as the next "new racer school" starts. I have not met pavement yet and plan to keep it that way. This will crush my confidence with Michelins forever!

Does this go away when you put some speed and the tire will stretch out and or even out? Also this is my first time changing/ballancing tires. Can someone please give me an explaination so i can sleep well tonight. :eyecrazy:

Thanks...

See less See more
#3 ·
i work as a mechanic in a tire store.Just about all my life.it is not unusual to see some slight side to side or up and down movement in a tire as it is on the balancer.no tire is perfectly round.Balance the tire and see how it rides.My guess is it will be fine,especially since every tire you mounted looked the same.

#4 ·
Thats exactly what i thought. But i don't wan't to risk it. So there's one person on here that thinks its ok. I know there's more guys/gals on here that balance their own tires. Maybe it's just because i haven't mounted enough tires to realize that this is something normal. Any other inputs on this guys?

#6 ·
Tires go through alot of quality checks and prob even more so since the big "firestone" deal, even though it was car tires that had problems, im sure alot of Tire MFGs do better quality checks now, but there is always the chance that errors are made and defects slip past. So If you have any doubt about riding on them or trusting them Id do the safe thing and call Michelin and ask them for their input about it, Id rather be safe and look like a dumb ass for asking the question rather than be the fool who thought it was safe to use them, and they fail. Who knows they may want them back and or send you new ones?? but if it were me id play it safe. just my thoughts on it.

#7 ·
never noticed anything 1/8" out, but I have seen some as much as 1/16" and that is OK..... did you pump it up to 60 psi to seat it and then let it back down? shit, my '07 zx10r has 1/16" out of true on the rear sprocket carrier and the factory says, " thats OK"!!! go figure:dontknow:

#10 ·
I think you may want to see this video from a guy around here. His brand new rear P.Power just broke off in two out of nothing at high speed and saved his life just by miracle. Irresponsible riding without protection tho. Bike is a 08 gsxr1k.

That´s why you may want to stay on the safe side and call Michelin

#14 ·
I think you may want to see this video from a guy around here. His brand new rear P.Power just broke off in two out of nothing at high speed and saved his life just by miracle. Irresponsible riding without protection tho. Bike is a 08 gsxr1k.

That´s why you may want to stay on the safe side and call Michelin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxxpUl4G2mc

HOLY DOGSHIT batman!!........that does not look good at ALL!!
What was he saying?

#11 ·
I'm no expert, but I just had a tire replaced on the front (BT-016's). Was standing a few feet from the mechanic as he was inflating the tire to seat the bead... While standing there, I could easily see, from a few feet away, a dimple on the side near the rim, which I guessed correctly was due to the bead not seating fully. Mechanic had that tire up to WAY high pressure in order to seat it. Finally, POP! Bead goes on fully, and tire is perfectly round! I'd suggest first get that PSI up. Don't worry too much, as mentioned above, it is only temporary, but necessary. I have a difficult time believing that you had that many out-of-tolerance tires. Michelin ain't that bad!

Just make sure you're wearing your eye protection while inflating! That will reduce your worries while waiting for that bead to seat properly! Good luck... (duck and cover!)

#13 ·
no you need to go as high as it needs to bead the tire, when it is completely off the bead on both sides, lube it up with some dishsoap/warm water and then inflate it. you should hear the bead pop 2 times, if it pops 2 times and it is completely seated, and you still have the problem, then it is a defect from the manufacturer.

#17 ·
Dam! just got off work. Didn't have time to call michelin. But in this case when i was messing with the front tire, i broke the bead a re-seated again. I hear a pop for one side, then a pop for the other side. so i know its seated. This Dip in the tire is about 2mm of movement.

#19 ·
Holly shit stains! WOW do i feel like a retard! Ok i called michelin today and they were totally clueless. I decided to stopped by cyclegear and finnaly had some help. Cycle gear was a little confused at first because they can physically see that the tire is seated to the rim and cannot understand why the tire would do that. After a long 30 mins of brainstorming(cyclegear) they went ahead and broke the bead. Lube the SH*T out of the tire with "TECH RIM EASE" instead of soap and water, inflated it to 60 PSI. The tire is GOOD HURAYY!! Almost perfectly round. So i guess you need alot of lube and PSI. I felt completely stupid but happy at the same time! Also cyclegear has never heard of this problem either. Just wanna pass on this info to the guys that change their own tires(noobs) that may have lost some sleep over this. Also thanks for all your inputs guys.

#20 ·
you're welcome. I'm not just a shit talker, I actually know what I am talking about.......most of the time:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :crackup: :badteeth: :hello:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.