Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Exhaust heat shield removal on 06-07

773 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  greenman43 
#1 · (Edited)
Wondering if any of the racers have removed this shield, and if so, have they noticed any problems (ie. damage to the plastic undertray, or problems with the electrics due to heat soak) ?

For clarity, I'm talking about the thin metal plate bolted to the underside of the tray, and not the piece that sits next to the master cylinder.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

#3 ·
Not sure if it's its necessary when the bike is running at speed, perhaps there would be sufficient airflow under there to wick away the heat. Guess I'll find out soon enough :)

Cheers,
Brian

#5 ·
Just out of curiousity, what are you trying to accomplish by removing it? Given that the airflow in that area is very disturbed, it's possible that a vaccuum is created in that area that traps the heat from the exhaust and makes it even hotter there. But the real reason that plate is there is to prevent cooking the battery and has little to do with the plastic deforming or melting.

I say leave it alone.

#6 ·
Just taking a bit of weight out, Jeff (201g, actually). I installed an Akrapovic system last weekend, and noticed that the heat shield looked a bit out of place. Looking at a pic of an All-Japan Superbike, I saw that it didn't have one, so I've taken mine off. Will report back on anything noticeable.

Cheers,
Brian

#7 ·
Cool, I hope it works out. I would suspect that you will not notice anything right away with that mod, but it may actually shorten your battery life a bit from the high heat. You may be able to find some of that thermal adhesive tape and mount it under the battery but inside the tray. That might help keep the temps in-check under the seat, but keep the weight off and not have that silver plate visible from the back. Those batteries are expensive!

#8 ·
Thanks Jeff, exactly what I was thinking. I've got a sheet of that insulation waiting to be put on, just not quite enough so got to track down a bit more.

All the best,
Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.