MSF class - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
Index Index Store Gallery UserCP Memberlist Calendar NewPosts
Go Back   Kawasaki ZX-10R.net > General Discussions > General Motorcycle Discussions

Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
MUSHU
GP Rider

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
Bike: 2nd Gen Special Edition
MUSHU is a splendid one to beholdMUSHU is a splendid one to beholdMUSHU is a splendid one to beholdMUSHU is a splendid one to beholdMUSHU is a splendid one to beholdMUSHU is a splendid one to beholdMUSHU is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian24 View Post
I'm curious about your riding day. I've heard interesting things about the MSF from a couple of friends. I know one guy that witnessed multiple crashes when he did the course, and all the people that could barely keep the bike upright still passed the course. I heard it's damn near impossible to fail.
First of all REP sent to the OP for taking the safety course. My brother took the safety course and saw a girl rider who was embarrased cuz she dropped the bike twice. She did not show up the next day probably thinking she will not pass the course.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
jolo
Track Day Rider

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
jolo has a spectacular aura aboutjolo has a spectacular aura aboutjolo has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOphLAMEr View Post
The MSF course saved my life in my first month of riding. They teach you how to think clearly and quickly rather than panic in case of emergencies and abrupt traffic changes.

...in a nutshell: brake brake brake, mirror check, shoulder check, gas, swerve left, swerve right, swerve left, gas gas gas and I avoided getting crushed when the Super Duty behind me t-boned the Buick that turned left in front of me.

The douche decided to turn left in front of on-coming traffic (including me) and stop in the intersection, blocking 3 lanes of traffic. I got the F out of the way and the truck hit the Buick.
good save. Risk is another thing they talk about, accepting risk, and a good rider is one who excepts and reduces risk. if there are muliple problems break them up and handle them one at a time. give yourself more space.

thanks for rep
jolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
aszrael1266
Champion Rider

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
Bike: 05 zx10R
aszrael1266 has a spectacular aura aboutaszrael1266 has a spectacular aura aboutaszrael1266 has a spectacular aura about
I had a lot of fun at the MSF class. I kind of cheated on the last day when they did the testing stuff. I raised the idle of the bike just let the clutch out and road the slower parts of the course lol. That was many many years ago. In my class there were 3 people who didn't pass. One person left at the first break and never came back. He couldn't get the power walking the bike part. One girl panicked and froze up and rode into a chain link fence at about 3-5 mph. It was like watching some slowmo accident lol. The 3rd guy just kept dropping the bike. They said at the start of the class if you drop the bike several times your out. I think he dropped it 5 or 6 times the first day.
aszrael1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
pmason718
GP Star

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
Bike: KTM RC8R
pmason718 will become famous soon enoughpmason718 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolo View Post
Today was my first class for the MSF figured I would tell about it incase anyone was interested.

Most of what is talked about is in the permit handbook. They also talked about awareness, radar, scanning ahead. Looking through turns. Where to ride(lane positioning) also while riding on roads with a crown (raised in the middle) Stopping, if your rear wheel starts to skid just ride it out till you stop to avoid a highside. When to swirve rather then brake. Ride where you are noticed, use the whole lane.
Then your normal pre-ride checks/inspection, tires, gas, cables, brakes, clutch, kickstand, haircut :). Thing about the kickstand i didnt think about was gettin a "Puck" so when on hot asphault it doesnt sink in.call me a newb whatever lol
Proper riding gear, bright colors, reflective.
Then ofcoarse the alcohol aspect pretty common sense but they throw in being tired, emotional, takeing benadril
We watched some short (5min) videos covering each section and went over 125 questions as a class then took a 50 question multiple choice test.

Sunday is my first riding day if anyone is interested ill tell about it if not then ill find something els to post about lol.

Where are you taking the course at?
pmason718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #15
jolo
Track Day Rider

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
jolo has a spectacular aura aboutjolo has a spectacular aura aboutjolo has a spectacular aura about
downling college oakdale. they have one more west also
Old 04-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
jolo
Track Day Rider

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
ok day 2, first riding day

First half of the class was nap time for anyone who seen a motorcycle before once i there life. it was going over the controls. wheres the ignition, cutoff switch, fuel valve, choke, throttle, brakes, mirrors and such. Then it was feeling the weight of the bike, walking it. move on to the friction zone, jus letting the clutch out till it grabs and roll back for a few min. walked the bike across the lot a few times. eventually acually rode across the lot and back.
moved on to going around cones, then wider cones for more sharp cornering. then simulated riding in traffic by riding in the friction zone (half clutch). moved on to switching up to third, down to second a few times around the lot. Last lesson was stopping. we started at one end, hit 15mph stoped at a cone they were looking for smoothness yet a short stop. It was a little weird cuz th brakes had alot more play then my 10 so getting used to that was weird. but i did alwright.

One girl bailed as soon as they said were ganna shift to second. i kept telling her just relax its cool. if you get nervous just grab the clutch, no worries. but i gues she was to nervous. there was an older lady they used a moped, did fine but was going slow so a couple times they pulled her to the side to let the others pass. plus she didnt have to shift so some of the excersizes were irrelavent to her.

my phone went off so they took all phones, along with keys and pretty muc anything in anyones pocket. it was funny though cuz y text alert go "psst...psssst.....pssssst" so there all looking around like who the f is that....its funny all day ppl are looking around like wtf?
so that was about it for day1 riding day, aside from a lunch break. tell you more next sunday, hopefully i do well enough to get my waiver.

ohh the bikes are little kawi 200 roadsters there like the size of an 80 dirtbike. also a couple yamaha enduros
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
ShinobiZXR
Team Green Baby!

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
Bike: Nothing ):
ShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to beholdShinobiZXR is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to ShinobiZXR
I took the course a few years back and it's pretty much the same as you mentioned in your posts, jolo. I think there were about 10-15 of us. I can't remember but all of us passed. The instructor was mad cool though, he said he will not fail anyone as I long as we listen and follow his instructions and don't do anything stupid like pop a wheelie . There were females riders who never sat on a bike before and they even passed. To our credit, he did say we were the best class he had though. The final test was cumulative and combined all the riding techniques you learned into one and there was also a multiple choice test at the end. I was perfect on both! The course was fun and enlightning even for experienced riders like myself. I highly recommend it to anyone who never took it before.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
pmason718
GP Star

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
Bike: KTM RC8R
pmason718 will become famous soon enoughpmason718 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pmason718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolo View Post
downling college oakdale. they have one more west also
Where is this place? I'm just curious
pmason718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
jolo
Track Day Rider

Postwhore Meter
PPD:
OK day 3, second riding day, last day of class.

we practiced u-turns, to a figure 8. weaveing. emergency stopping and weaveing. they had us go down the path then they choosed stop or weave on there timing to simulate emergency situation. moved on to timed stopping (stop as fast as safely possible) moved on to switching lanes. mirror, blind spot blinker turn,turn cancel blinker. moved on to to practice road test then the acual test.

I PASSED

we had 2 addons that failed last week. Everyone in the class passed this time. a couple people though i dont know how they passed. one guy didnt come close to doing the figure 8. he wound up in like left field in hong kong some how with his feet down.... Also, he ran into me..while he was stopping..... some others crossed the line but not by much. Next test was the emergency swirve(DMV requirment turn to the right). everyone did fine, some people went slow(you lose points for going too slow). Then a turn properly exicuted. proper starting speed, increase or steady throttle threw the turn, outside, inside, outside, then stop, downshift, left foot down first. last was emergency stop, speed up to 12-17mph begind to stop at the cones. the calculate your speed with how long it takes you to stop in the fastest safest distance. you loose points for "anticipating" the spot by slowing too soon, must keep a steady speed untill your front tire reaches the cone. Everyone did fine, some ppl lost points. biggest issue was the figure out, i really dont get the one guy but good for him, just hope he is safe out there... anyway, thats my MSF coarse review, hope it was usefull to someone. cant wait to get out and ride. So anxious to take out the wife for a ride (so she can return the favor )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement